Erb Institute

Archive

Filter Archives

 

At the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, grocery stores’ shelves sat empty as consumers rushed to stockpile toilet paper, canned goods and other necessities. With roughly 50% of Americans transitioning to remote work, the pandemic highlighted the vulnerabilities of food system workers who were unable to work safely from their homes.
Detroit is poised to become a global leader in business sustainability, but this will require a new approach to collaboration. The newly formed Sustainable Business Network of Detroit (SBN Detroit) recently held its inaugural event, “Detroit’s Moment: Accelerating the Sustainable Business Revolution.” The landscape Detroit’s environmental, social and economic issues are intertwined, and sustainability is […]
How do you measure a company’s social impact? Many sustainability metrics and reporting frameworks offer ways for companies to assess their environmental and economic impacts, but social impact is more difficult to measure—and even to define. A company’s social impact might encompass a wide range of issues, from worker health and safety, to diversity, to […]
By Amelia Ahl Reposted from Triple Pundit Feb. 22nd, 2021 In the wake of the January 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol and concerns about a peaceful and democratic transition of power, many businesses are reconsidering their relationships with government – including the effects of corporate political contributions. A reckoning with corporate political contributions There […]
Reposted from GreenBiz March 18, 2021 Corporate sustainability has evolved, and companies have made significant strides in recent years. But their sustainability strategies often neglect their political involvement. And their political activities may not be fully aligned with their sustainability activities or their stated values. Following the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol — […]
With the geometric growth of socially responsible investment dollars entering the market, corporations are increasingly expected to assess and publicly disclose their sustainability, based on their economic, environmental and social performance. Although we have a clear idea of what “doing good” looks like from an economic and environmental perspective, social sustainability is a much more […]
Water scarcity is an issue that is rapidly increasing and will continue to have harmful impacts on our environment. Our planet has a plentiful supply of water however 97.5% is saltwater. This leaves 2.5% as fresh water and 2/3 of that is currently locked in polar ice caps and glaciers. The remaining 0.5% is usually […]
In spite of the widespread proliferation of sustainability metrics and reporting frameworks, these systems lack consistent definitions, processes and standards for assessing social sustainability impacts. This has made it difficult to benchmark progress on social sustainability issues, whether among companies or against global goals, such as the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs). To […]
The disconnect between many companies’ public sustainability ambitions and their non-public lobbying efforts can no longer be excused. The Erb Institute’s Corporate Political Responsibility Taskforce is helping companies connect the dots. The January 6 US Capitol insurrection shined a light on the role of corporate money in political action; and within a week, many companies […]
It is very encouraging to see companies re-thinking their political spending policies in the wake of current threats to the peaceful transition of power in America. Such reviews could create a tipping point in restoring public trust and stability — but only if companies dig into the structural as well as cultural causes of the current crisis. To […]