Website City of Seattle
Location: Seattle, WA
Salary : $37.09 – $43.22 Hourly
Seattle Public Utilities’ (SPU) Solid Waste Planning & Program Management Division has an exciting opportunity for a planning professional to provide critical support in the development and initial implementation of its new Waste Prevention Strategic Plan efforts by providing research, analysis, and stakeholder engagement; and implementing business outreach and developing new materials for reusable serviceware programs.
This position will report to the Waste Prevention Specialist in the Planning and Program Management Division of SPU’s Solid Waste Line of Business.
This Temporary assignment is approved to last 35 months from date of hire and includes Medical, Dental and Vision benefits as well as paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
About Seattle Public Utilities:
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver equitable high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide all our work. We support and hold ourselves accountable to this commitment by eliminating barriers to access and providing employees with equitable opportunities for professional growth and advancement.
Waste Prevention Strategic Plan:
- Conduct research through online searches and interviews to identify waste prevention best practices and opportunities, and compile data on life-cycle impacts of materials;
- Compile an inventory and map of waste prevention-related businesses and activities in the greater Seattle region;
- Assist with stakeholder engagement, including scheduling and managing logistics for stakeholder meetings, co-facilitating interviews, and taking notes;
- Analyze and synthesize research and stakeholder engagement findings and recommendations into reports and presentations that present information in clear and compelling ways;
- Conduct research to help develop waste prevention programs, policies, and systems.
Commercial Packaging and Reusable Serviceware:
- Engage with commercial customers at various levels of companies including quick-serve restaurants, local businesses, and institutions;
- Conduct onsite visits with food service businesses to encourage transition to reusable serviceware and assess compliance with Seattle’s packaging requirements;
- Maintain correspondence with multiple companies simultaneously including drafting emails, letter, reports, and track all engagement activity;
- Prepare presentations to demonstrate program success and activities.
- Develop outreach materials for reusable serviceware programs and diverse audiences.
Experience: Requires one year of experience in planning and research related to land use, urban economics, human services, environmental issues, conservation, customer engagement, communications, or other work directly related to City planning and development work.
Education: A baccalaureate degree in planning, urban design, environmental studies, communications, marketing, public administration, or a related field or two years of additional relevant experience
Licensing and Other Requirements: Must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License or equivalent mobility (a person possessing a valid out-of-state driver’s license must obtain a WSDL within 30-days of SPU hire date).
The successful candidate will possess:
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to synthesize and convey complex data in clear and compelling ways, including orally, visually, and in writing
- Be an excellent team player and have the ability to work independently as needed
- Experience and interest in conducting research
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
- Commitment to race & social justice, equity, and inclusion
- Interest in waste prevention and materials management.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.