Location: Boston, MA
The Vice President, Programs will oversee multiple teams including Climate and Energy, Water, and Food and Forests, in a fast-paced, not-for-profit, organization with a $20+ million budget. This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced professional to build on Ceres’ solid achievements in promoting private sector leadership on a wide range of sustainability issues.
The Vice President, Programs will serve on the five-person Program Management Team to ensure programmatic alignment, coordination and impact across the organization. S/he will supervise a diverse team of issue experts who lead and manage Ceres’ programmatic teams. S/he will also support staff to develop and implement effective strategies, initiatives, and campaigns that advance Ceres’ mission. In addition, the Vice President of Programs will ensure effective evaluation, measurement and communications of Ceres’ programmatic successes in order to continually grow and enhance Ceres leadership in the sustainability field.
This role shares cross-organizational responsibilities with the Program Management Team focused on the efficient deployment of Ceres Network members and other key assets to support Ceres’ policy work, as well as initiatives and campaigns. S/he will participate in regular assessment of existing programs and new opportunities, support fundraising efforts, communicate Ceres’ impact and successes, and manage special projects to grow or enhance initiative and campaign priorities. The position is well-suited for someone with strong internal management capabilities, as well as the experience and ability to represent Ceres externally as needed. The Vice President will report to the Chief Program Officer/Executive Vice President.
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
- Oversee development of Ceres’ overall programmatic and campaign strategies,
- Assure programmatic and campaign strategies to maximize the impacts of our work across race, gender identity, and socio-economic background, to build Ceres influence and achieve the organization’s outcomes and goals.
- Serve on cross-organizational Program Management Team, collaboratively engaging with the Chief Program Officer/Executive Vice President and the Vice Presidents of Government Relations, Networks, and Innovation and Evaluation providing expert input and guidance into decisions affecting the development of programmatic strategy.
- Partner with Executive Team (ET) and Program Management Team (PMT) colleagues on strategic allocation of resources.
- Work with senior staff to ensure development and implementation of results-driven strategies to increase revenue for programs and campaigns and achieve organizational outcomes and goals.
- Regularly solicit strategy and issue expertise from senior staff, including the other Vice Presidents and Program Directors, to support effective decision-making and development of program strategy.
- Supervise and support senior staff ensuring they are resourced and empowered to lead on staff, program, and budget management to achieve the objectives of their specific teams.
- Support senior staff to build diverse teams, to include a mixed composition of race, gender identity, and socio-economic background, to better reflect the populations we are working with and working to positively impact.
- Guide and mentor senior staff in strategy development and execution.
- Oversee the development, implementation and evaluation of results-driven and integrated cross-program annual work plans.
- Ensure strong coordination between Ceres’ Initiatives and Campaigns with our Government Relations, Networks, and Innovation and Evaluation teams and activities, including deployment of systems to support alignment.
- Work in partnership with the Development and Finance teams to develop and deliver fundraising targets.
- Support Development in major donor and foundation cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities, participating in high-level relationships as needed.
- Ensure that Program Directors and other senior staff are showcased as issue experts and elevate their and Ceres’ public profiles as spokespeople for Ceres’ work.
- Other duties as they arise.
- 15 years of relevant work experience in roles of progressive responsibility.
- Graduate degree, in relevant area, preferred. Bachelor degree required.
- Experience as a senior leader and manager in a fast-paced, nonprofit organization. Experience with environmental or sustainability issues required.
- Demonstrated record of supervising senior staff to achieve organizational programmatic and fundraising goals.
- Proven track record of results-driven strategic program management is required, including demonstrated success in supervising senior staff to achieve organizational programmatic and fundraising goals.
- Demonstrated success in both halves of the resource equation—cultivating and closing income prospects, and managing and deploying staff and budgets.
- Strong relationship management skills with external partners is necessary for success in the position.
- Demonstrated success in building and managing diverse teams, including gender identity, people of color, and people from various socio-economic backgrounds, and supporting an inclusive work place, where everyone has an opportunity for advancement.
- Experienced cultivating effective supervisory relationships (across gender identity, race, ethnicity, and socio-economic background) with direct reports and managing senior level staff and teams.
- Proven track record and successful engagement in a public relations or external communications role.
- Familiarity with non-profit fundraising approaches and experience in managing grants is a plus.
- Entrepreneurial attitude.
- Ability to both build strong, stable programs and to innovate to take advantage of strategic opportunities
- Broad understanding of how to build effective collaborations across other program areas, departments, and different levels of staff across the organization
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
To apply for this job please visit www.ceres.org.