Location: El Paso, TX or Miami, FL
This position will be responsible for supporting Microsoft relationship with Advancing Minorities’ Interest in Engineering (AMIE) – an association of 15 Historically Black Colleges and Universities with engineering schools – and developing relationships with, and strong ties to, two Historically Black Colleges and three Hispanic Serving Institutions.
You will report directly to the Senior Director of University Relations, and be part of a team in Microsoft’s Corporate and Legal Affairs group that works across Microsoft to drive relationships with key universities in North America.
This is an exciting opportunity to help surface areas of opportunity and develop best practices for how we ‘show up’ with, support, and learn from an important set of institutions.
You will engage directly with diverse stakeholders within Microsoft and at the universities to develop insights into the universities’ needs, mobilizing existing Microsoft resources and programs to assist the schools, and suggesting and creating new initiatives as needed. You will also serve as the point person for Microsoft’s relationship with five schools and with Microsoft AMIE board members, responding to surveys, driving new initiatives, and sharing best practices back to the company.
An ability to operate independently, proactively, and intuitively in a shifting environment is essential. If mutually agreed, pending safety, you should expect to travel 25% of the time.
- Develop and/or recommend high-impact solutions for advancing Microsoft’s relationships with targeted Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Hispanic Serving Institutions.
- Understand and apply detailed knowledge of Microsoft strategies to drive results at targeted schools.
- Engage directly with professors, department heads, student groups, labs, Provosts, and Deans. Serve as a point of contact to direct university stakeholders to the right internal Microsoft stakeholders to form partnerships and access resources.
- Develop recommendations for how existing Microsoft products and programs can be used to solve educational needs and assist universities to build capacity among faculty and students in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering and data science.
- Surface and elevate university needs and opportunities that do not fit into current Microsoft ways of working back to the University Relations team. Based on this information, propose new ways of working to the University Relations team and internal stakeholders.
- Facilitate the sharing of information and best practices across internal teams, including Sales, Research, Recruiting, Business Groups, and Evangelism, and encouraging creative new ways to work together to assist these universities. Find ways to incentivize out-of-the-box thinking and help steer collaborative efforts among team members to completion.
- Support Microsoft executive engagement with university leadership to broker deep partnerships and drive new initiatives.
- Document best practices so they can be scaled to other universities, and shared with other Minority Serving institution stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s Degree AND 3+ years experience in corporate relations, government relations, higher education OR 7+ years’ experience in corporate relations, government relations, higher education, or related area preferred.
- Experience working with or for universities that lead you to have an understanding of the higher education environment.
- Experience working with executives, both presenting strategy and executing initiatives.
- Strong ability to represent Microsoft and build trusted external relationships.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in working with alumni, faculty, students, and underrepresented populations.
- Ability to think strategically, intuitively, empathetically, and to solve unstructured problems.
- Ability to plan, develop, and articulate strategies for engaging with key audiences and to bring customer insights back to internal stakeholders in a useable form.
- Ability to work across Microsoft, understand our programmatic offerings, articulate them externally, and follow-up on external questions to drive to a solution.
- Track record of excellent teamwork and collaboration in a large organization across multiple teams.
- Exceptional organization, planning, and time management skills; ability to drive multiple and competing priorities to completion with limited guidance.
- Good judgment, strong interpersonal skills, and a good sense of humor.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Understanding of engineering and CS curriculum and subject matter; undergraduate degree in a technical field strongly preferred.
- Graduate Degree preferred.
- Spanish speaker strongly preferred.
To apply for this job please visit careers.microsoft.com.