Website United Nations
Note: This is a 6 month contract position.
Through these services the Initiative will be able to engage a broad range of financial institutions, including commercial banks, retail banks, insurers, and multi-lateral development banks and agencies in implementing global finance sector principles to catalyze integration of sustainability into financial market practice. The frameworks UNEP FI is supporting implementation include Principles for Responsible Banking (PRB) now committed to by more than 230 banks collectively holding USD 53 trillion in assets, or one third of the global banking sector, and the Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI), established 2012 by UNEP FI and today applied by one-quarter of the world’s insurers (25% of world premium).
The consultant will also work with banks and insurers to develop materials and other training materials to support banks’ capacity building across the key job functions within institutions.
The outcomes of the services will be to strengthen the UNEP FI implementation support for the industry frameworks, helping the banking and insurance industries to integrate sustainability into products and services and implement the Principles for Responsible Banking and insurance Sustainable Development Goals.
The services will also help promote sustainability into all aspects of the financial sector’s products and services to 1) develop materials to enable banks and insurers to mobilize private investment in the SDGs in order to improve the access of developing countries to sustainable finance, especially in least developed countries and small island developing states; 2) develop a curriculum and syllabus to deliver technical educational support for financial institutions to establish the systems needed to monitor the impacts of their financing and, with these systems in place, to set and deliver targets in priority areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) is a strategic public-private partnership between UNEP and the global financial sector. UNEP FI works with approximately 400 financial institutions, which are signatories to the UNEP FI Statements of Environmental Commitment, and a range of partners and organizations, to develop and promote linkages between the environment, sustainability and financial performance. Through its working groups and regional activities, comprehensive work programme, training and research, UNEP FI carries out its mission to identify, promote, and realise the adoption of best environmental and sustainability practice at all levels of financial institution strategies and operations.
UNEP FI requires a consultant to develop learning materials to support implementation of the Principles for Responsible Banking. The consultant will support implementation of UNEP FI’s training strategy through the development of a curriculum and training syllabus for responsible banking. The consultant will support the training department and training development for capacity building on implementation of Principles for Responsible Banking, developing and adapting materials for pedagogical formats across learning channels (through workshops, partnerships, online and third-party internal training). The consultant will work on coordination with UNEP FI’s Secretariat to achieve UNEP FI’s mission to accelerate the development of financial institutions that integrate sustainability and contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Objectives and Outputs Expectations
- Contents and materials for regional capacity building, learning formats and diverse education channels.
- Learning materials and case studies on impact analysis developed, target setting and SDG product development/measures to implement targets for banks and insurers, coordinating with UNEP FI’s technical experts, training and regional coordination teams.
- Curriculum and subsidiary syllabuses to deliver UNEP FI’s training strategy to support PRB implementation (e.g. first steps for PRB implementation, impact analysis, climate targets).
- Curriculum and training syllabus for training consulted on externally (banks and relevant stakeholders).
- Skills matrix developed and training objectives and skills and knowledge needs defined across key banking roles.
- Establishment of a Responsible Banking Academy and development of required training.
- Consultation of and piloting of training for banks on PRB implementation to align portfolios with the SDGs and ensure capacity building is scaled up and the SDG Agenda is mainstreamed in the financial sector, and materials with case study examples updated as necessary to maximize impact.
- Learning materials developed
- Training curriculum developed
- # participants or # banks involved in the consultation process.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
- Support the Banking, Insurance and SDGs & Impact teams in developing and adapting contents and materials for regional capacity building, learning formats and diverse education channels. Coordinate with PRB, Insurance, SDGS & Impact, training and regional teams to leverage UNEP FI resources such as the impact analysis tools, PRB guidance documents and other materials.
- Develop learning materials and case studies on impact analysis and setting and implementing targets, including through SDG product development/client and customer engagement, for banks and insurers.
- Provide varied, interactive, digital, multi-format materials.
- Develop the overall curriculum and subsidiary syllabuses required to deliver UNEP FI’s training strategy to support PRB implementation; identify and develop required training within this curriculum in consultation with other UNEP FI teams, and financial institutions Consult on and test the strategy and curriculum with financial institutions membership. Consult on and test the strategy and curriculum with financial institutions membership.
- Interview internal and external stakeholders to define training objectives and skills and knowledge needs across key banking roles. Consult on and test the strategy and curriculum with financial institutions membership. Develop a skills matrix, identifying appropriate training for each role;
- Developing the final version of the curriculum, through internal and external consultation, to be tested and rolled out. Ensure pedagogical adaptability of all knowledge resources and materials
- Support piloting of training for banks on PRB implementation to align portfolios with the SDGs and ensure capacity building is scaled up and the SDG Agenda is mainstreamed in the financial sector, and materials with case study examples updated as necessary to maximize impact.
- Support the establishment of a Responsible Banking Academy and development of required training.
The consultant shall be under the overall supervision of Head UNEP FI and report directly to the Programme Management Officer, UNEP FI. The consultant will with closely with colleagues in the Training, Banking, SDGs / Impact, Communications and Digital teams.
Qualifications and Special Skills
Skills: Knowledge and skills developed in an education and/or training in a financial services environment; proven relationship management skills, knowledge in the field of sustainable finance; knowledge/experience of the banking, insurance and/or investment industries; , curriculum-training syllabus developer; ability to manage multiple stakeholders in a diplomatic, organised and timely manner; proven influencing skills; excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, ability to be proactive and work independently. Ability to develop interactive, digital, multi-format materials desirable.
Academic Qualifications: Bachelors’ Degree in sustainability, environment, finance, banking, education, professional training and development, communications or related fields.
Experience: At least 5 years’ experience in education and/or training in banking, with a particular exposure to programme and curriculum/syllabus development. The candidate should also have experience of sustainable development and finance training or education.
Language: English is the working language of UNEP FI. Knowledge of other United Nations languages is an asset.
To apply for this job please visit careers.un.org.