Location: Boston, MA
We are looking for a Sustainable Investment Senior Associate to Join our team!
Mercer is a global consulting leader, helping clients around the world advance the health, wealth and career of their most vital asset – their people. Mercer’s more than 20,000 employees are based in 43 countries and the firm operates in over 140 countries. Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), a global professional services firm offering clients advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy and people.
Mercer’s Wealth team provides customized advice at every stage of the investment decision, risk management and investment monitoring process to institutional investors, including retirement plans (defined benefit and defined contribution), endowments, foundations, healthcare and insurance companies, as well as financial intermediaries such as wealth managers and RIAs. Mercer’s global Sustainable Investment (SI) team is a specialist team that advises clients directly and indirectly, in supporting Mercer’s research and field consultants, to adopt responsible ownership practices and incorporate environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) factors into all aspects of investment governance, strategy, monitoring/reporting, and fund selection.
What’s in it for you?
Working most closely with the SI team members in Boston and Los Angeles, the US SI Senior Associate will be responsible for preparing analytical client deliverables, coordinating internal SI initiatives with stakeholders from various Investments departments (advisory, OCIO, operations, research), and contributing to a positive, creative, and hard-working culture. While based in the US, the role will require interaction with consultants, investment manager researchers and clients around the globe.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a driven, intellectually curious individual to play an important role on a team that has significant exposure across the firm. The individual will have opportunities to support current and new research, analysis, and consulting advice. SI is a rapidly developing area, and the focus for integrating ESG and sustainability themes has an increased focus at Mercer and within our client base.
- Conducting and reviewing quantitative and qualitative ESG investment portfolio analysis using Mercer data and third party ESG data, including using in-house tools and databases for analysis. Examples of analyses include:
- Carbon footprint reports
- Climate scenario modelling
- ESG ratings and data analyses
- Stewardship monitoring, including proxy voting and engagement
- Developing appropriate responsible investment strategies for clients, drafting reports and presentations as appropriate.
- Reviewing drafts of client materials from junior consultants and providing constructive feedback.
- Leading or co-leading client meetings by identifying key meeting objectives, constructing agendas, and presenting to clients.
- Fielding and responding to inquiries from internal consultants in a timely manner.
- Utilizing Mercer’s proprietary investment manager database tool, Insight, to identify suitable investment funds for clients and conduct supporting analysis.
- Contributing to Mercer’s SI intellectual capital development and research processes.
- Providing support on business development as required.
- Liaising with other teams within Mercer Wealth and across Mercer business segments to educate others about RI and succinctly present the SI team’s service offerings.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a team-oriented, positive mind-set that is expressed through strong oral and written communication skills.
- Comfort working independently as part of a small team through a strong sense of initiative and ability to share relevant information and expertise.
- Professional technical and analytical skills, with strong attention to detail and pride in producing work products free of repeat-errors.
- Strong planning and organizational skills, to prioritize tasks and manage resources within a deadline oriented environment.
- Ability to maintain a sustainable and beneficial work-life balance.
- Background in investment consulting, management consulting or asset management.
- 4-7 years of experience in Responsible Investment, ESG, Sustainability, and/or Impact investing and an eagerness to learn and keep up to date with the industry and market conditions.
- Bachelor (or higher) degree preferably in finance, economics, mathematics or other business-related areas with strong quantitative and analytical course content. Other degree focuses welcome.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.