Location: Dearborn, MI
Carhartt is seeking a Sustainability Manager to help lead and execute on the company’s strategic objectives related to social and environmental opportunities across the organization. This role will support our pillars of Respecting Natural Resources, Protecting People, and Building Communities to help build a better world for all hard working people. The role requires a strong understanding of current sustainability challenges in the retail/apparel/ consumer goods industry, as well as a keen ability to work in a corporate environment with multiple cross-functional stakeholders. The candidate will have a demonstrated ability to execute programs that achieve sustainability goals. Reporting to our Director of Sustainability, this leader will have a critical role working closely with leaders of key functional areas – Design, Supply Chain, Product, Merchandising, Creative, Marketing,etc. – as well as with our business unit partners.
The candidate must have strong business and sustainability acumen, problem solving skills, a passion for leading transformative changes in the ways of working and an ability to work cross-functionally in driving solutions.
We are All Leaders at Carhartt
In our words and by our actions, we strive to emulate the hardworking example set forth by our founder, Hamilton Carhartt. We Lead Business by creating value, delivering on results, and making changes along the way. We Lead Self by being dependable, because hardworking people count on us to have their back every day. We Lead Others by communicating and clearly defining the path as we walk bravely into the future.
Working at Carhartt, we are all given a seat at the table and the honor of continuing the legacy.
- Drive the execution and progress of the sustainability initiatives for Carhartt that help achieve our 5-year goals, objectives and commitments within sustainability
- Manage overall execution of sustainability program initiatives, working closely with cross-functional teams from Design, Supply Chain, Product, Merchandising, Marketing/Creative, and our business units to ensure alignment
- Help develop measurement systems and maintain tools to benchmark and track Carhartt’s progress against key sustainability goals, ratings, and frameworks
- Partner and engage with third party associations and/or multi-stakeholder initiatives
- Share industry research with internal teams, helping to direct any primary research required, and ongoing competitive benchmarking to better understand the landscape
- Understand the broader sustainability industry landscape to identify critical needs and actively contribute to shaping the strategy
- Build “best practices hub” on Sustainability where the organization can find all relevant information on key initiatives and progress around Sustainability, developing a collaborative community on sustainability topics
- Bachelor’s Degree Required in Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability or Related Field
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree welcome (e.g., MBA, Climate Science, Environmental Science, Sustainability)
- 3-5+ years of experience in Sustainability
- 3-5 years of progressive experience with another global leading manufacturer (preferably within an apparel, consumer-packaged goods (CPG) company, or within consulting)
- Outstanding organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize workload and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the proven ability to communicate with all levels of management.
- Ability to persuade and influence without having direct authority
- Creative solution generator with a focus on possibility
- Sound business acumen
- Team mentality, passion for sustainability and ability to connect the dots.
- Advanced experience and proficiency using Excel, PowerPoint/Keynote, Word, etc.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.