Website Town of Breckenridge
Location: Breckenridge, CO
The Town of Breckenridge is a popular resort community nestled in the picturesque Rocky Mountains where residents enjoy an outstanding quality of life. As a destination, Breckenridge recently received the Mountain IDEAL sustainable destination certification and was recognized as a Top 100 Sustainable Destination in 2020 by Green Destinations.
The Town is seeking a dedicated and customer service oriented individual for the position of Sustainability/Alternative Transportation Administrator. The individual in this position will direct efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the Town of Breckenridge associated primarily with mobile emissions sources, spearhead the transition to sustainable transportation, administer the Town’s parking management program, and support other sustainability division efforts as assigned.
The Sustainability/Alternative Transportation Administrator will assist the Coordinator with executing new and existing programs, researching policy options, gathering data for analysis, grant writing, and implementing systems to improve coordination across departments and programs. The focus will be on developing incentives, building infrastructure, and programs needed to facilitate a substantial shift to public transportation, ride-sharing, biking, and walking. The position will also have an emphasis on public outreach and education. This position will represent the Town at relevant events and meetings to advocate for regional and state-level transportation policies and programs, and build partnerships designed to reduce emissions associated with the transportation sector.
Nature of Work
This position will…
- Direct efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the Town of Breckenridge associated primarily with mobile emissions sources,
- Spearhead the transition to sustainable transportation,
- Administer the Town’s parking management program, and
- Support other sustainability division efforts as assigned.
The Sustainability/Alternative Transportation Administrator will assist the Coordinator with executing new and existing programs, researching policy options, gathering data for analysis, grant writing, and implementing systems to improve coordination across departments and programs. The focus will be on developing incentives and building infrastructure and programs needed to facilitate a substantial shift to public transportation, ride-sharing, biking, and walking. The position will also have an emphasis on public outreach and education. This position will represent the Town at relevant events and meetings to advocate for regional and state-level transportation policies and programs, and build partnerships designed to reduce emissions associated with the transportation sector.
- Under the direction of, and with priorities established by the Sustainability Coordinator, lead the Town’s work in reducing GHG emissions associated with transportation and land use through the development and implementation of programs, projects, and policies identified in the SustainableBreck Plan (2011), Transportation, Parking and Urban Design Study (2016), Climate Action Plan (2019), and Destination Management Plan (2019) among other policy documents.
- Administer the Town’s year-round parking program, including the South Gondola Parking Garage, and maintain operational relationships with the parking management vendor and local ski area related to parking operations.
- Oversee the parking program contracts, RFPs, and contracted service providers.
- Create and maintain parking reports including the Annual Parking report and other reports to management and Council as requested (i.e. occupancy, revenues, permits, collections, etc).
- In coordination with the Fleet Manager and Public Works department, develop an electric vehicle capital transition program for municipal transit buses, and light duty vehicles to assist department heads in transitioning their fleets to electric vehicles as proven technologies become available and are relatively cost effective.
- Evaluate and build out the network of charging infrastructure needed for municipal electric fleets, including buses, light duty trucks, and cars.
- Promote and help facilitate the expansion of a community network of electric vehicle charging infrastructure to ensure that it is not only high-impact but also accessible to all members of the community.
- Keep current on new technologies and opportunities related to electric vehicles, car-share services, smart controls, autonomous vehicles, and advanced grid designs and operations.
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities, grants, and public-private partnerships to build out electric vehicle incentives and infrastructure.
- Facilitate a substantial community mode shift from passenger vehicles to public transportation, biking, and walking in line to meet Climate Action Plan milestones.
- Participate in planning initiatives that support community development in ways that reduce vehicle miles traveled, including but not limited to increasing housing affordability, collocating transportation and density, and creating livable street networks.
- Collaborate with internal and regional partners to build out bike-supportive infrastructure and create a more prolific and inclusive bike culture.
- Collaborate with the Breckenridge Tourism Office to partner with local employers and regional partners to promote more efficient or zero-emissions commuting.
- Assist Public Works and other relevant departments in building out a geospatial inventory of transportation assets and facilitate the incorporation of local climate models into transportation asset management plans and investment decisions.
- Lead initiatives to reduce vehicle idling through anti-idling policies, vehicle technology, and improved intersection design.
- Work to build strong relationships with project partners and neighboring communities to expand and improve sustainable transportation options to Breckenridge.
- Track progress and report on transportation GHG emissions reductions annually.
- Work with the Sustainability Coordinator and other relevant departments or committees to develop campaigns and outreach materials that educate the community about sustainable transportation options, and garner support for new policies and programs.
- Represent the Town at relevant events and meetings regarding regional and state-level transportation policies and programs including the Travel Demand Management Committee of the I-70 Coalition. Advocate for legislative changes as needed to support sustainable transportation initiatives.
- Represent the Town at relevant events, meetings, speaking engagements, and other outreach or opportunities regarding sustainable transportation.
- Administer and participate in the Town’s Green Commutes Program.
- Assist with SustainableBreck’s social media and print media presence.
- Assist the Sustainability Coordinator and other department heads as necessary in preparing budget recommendations for sustainable transportation initiatives, including capital expenditures and related specifications.
- Work with the Water Department and Community Development to expand the use of green infrastructure systems in order to meet the Water Efficiency Plan and other relevant Town goals.
- Provide research support to Sustainability Coordinator for new policies and programs.
- Work productively and cooperatively with supervisors, co-workers, assigned committees, and the general public.
- Support the overall success of SustainableBreck by performing all other duties as assigned.
- Regular, predictable and dependable on-site workplace attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Bachelor’s degree in transportation planning, urban and/or environmental planning, sustainability, or related field.
- At least two years of previous work experience related to: multimodal transportation, transit-oriented development, or sustainability.
- Previous experience with or knowledge of Windows/Microsoft Office platform and software pertaining to the development of outreach and educational materials and data management.
- Experience with outreach and education, program development, report writing, and/or grant writing.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.