The Director will lead a global team in implementing Williams-Sonoma, Inc.’s (WSI) social and environmental impact strategies through its supply chain. This position is integral to continue establishing WSI as the leading sustainable home furnishings company, building off the company’s recognition as one of Barron’s 100 Most Sustainable Companies for four years running.
This role is highly cross-functional, and the ideal candidate will need to build strong relationships, be comfortable with a wide range of responsibilities from communications to analyzing data, remain undeterred in the face of obstacles, problem-solve, and know-how to navigate and influence within a large and complex organization. The director will work directly with the head of sustainability and social impact, environmental and human rights experts on the team, and cross-functional partners to support our continued focus on best-in-class sustainability and social impact strategy and programs for people and the planet.
- Drive the implementation of integrated social and environmental strategy, programs, and impact in the supply chain.
- Lead and manage an on-the-ground team of social compliance and sustainability experts to ensure the successful and cohesive implementation of WSI’s social compliance, worker wellbeing, environmental impact, traceability, and responsible materials strategies and other supply chain sustainability and social initiatives and commitments with country offices and vendors.
- Represent, communicate, and engage global country leadership around sustainability and social impact objectives with the aim of embedding values-based sourcing across supply chain and functions. Support in-country teams to resolve challenges, and elevate issues as needed.
- Engage closely with our global team of experts whose programs focus on responsible materials and finishes, climate and energy, waste and circularity, ethical production and human rights, worker wellbeing, values-based brand marketing and storytelling, and ESG strategy. Ensures our teams’ strategies and activities are developed in alignment with overarching corporate objectives and obtain cross-functional buy-in for implementation, measurement, and continuous improvement.
- Leverage internal and external data sources, lead consolidated team approach for data-driven sustainability and social impact decision making, reporting, system development, metrics, and KPIs in order to drive progress to goals, streamline related data collection and reporting, facilitate communication around the progress to goals and elevate risks and opportunities.
- Build and sustain relationships with key stakeholders at multiple levels both inside and outside the organization to promote and sustain advances in WSI’s sustainability and social impact approach. Represent WSI in industry collaborations and initiatives.
- Develop and deliver training opportunities for the team associates to develop expertise in social compliance and sustainability as needed, project management, and more.
- Follow industry trends, best practices, emerging regulations, and competitor’s initiatives to inform ongoing strategy and leadership with a focus on vendor engagement, training, and implementation.
- Lead the development and delivery of communication strategies, including resources, key training, etc. to in-country teams, vendors, and internal associates to increase education, awareness, and engagement around social and environmental initiatives.
- 10+ years related experience in social responsibility (developing, enforcing, or influencing program implementation), sustainability, sourcing, or corporate responsibility in the supply chain. Expertise in human rights is a plus.
- Dynamic leader, skilled at managing senior stakeholders and effecting change through influence and ability to motivate and mentor others within the workgroup
- Strong communicator, with the ability to think big picture while considering implementation.
- Strong data and quantitative skills to drive strategic decision-making
- Strong information-seeking and problem-solving skills and a drive to make things happen
- Ability to listen, understand challenges or underlying concerns, share ideas and develop effective responses or elevate to higher management
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a diverse group
- Fluency in English and proficiency in Windows XP, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Tableau, and Microsoft BI are a plus.
- Able to travel up to 15% of the time.
- Embodies the highest level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- A true passion for sustainability and social impact.
- Self-directed, creative problem solver.
- Maintains a global perspective and is culturally sensitive and aware.
- Influences key members of an organization at all levels.
- Possesses a personally engaging style with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Thrives in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrates a creative, energetic, and motivated spirit.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.