Website VF Corporation
Location: Stratham, NH
As part of Timberland’s Corporate Social Responsibility team and VF’s Global Sustainability team, you will have the opportunity to set the strategic direction and roadmap to improve Timberland’s environmental impact related to products and operations, in line with VF’s science-based targets (with a primary focus on product sustainability, given the vast majority of Timberland’s environmental impacts relate to product creation).
Founded in 1973, Timberland® is a global outdoor lifestyle brand based in Stratham, New Hampshire, with international headquarters in Switzerland and Hong Kong. Best known for its original yellow boot designed for the harsh elements of New England, Timberland today offers a full range of footwear, apparel and accessories for people who value purposeful style and share the brand’s passion for enjoying – and protecting – nature.
At the heart of the Timberland brand is the core belief that a greener future is a better future. This comes to life through a decades-long commitment to make products responsibly, protect the outdoors, and strengthen communities around the world.
Timberland is a VF Corporation brand. VF is one of the world’s leading apparel, footwear, and accessories companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations, and a commitment to deliver innovative products and create long-term value for its employees, customers, and shareholders.
In this role, you will support the product development and sourcing teams in measuring and improving the environmental impact of product creation and material development, with a focus on regenerative natural material sourcing and circular product design. You will work collaboratively with the global marketing team to support the development of product-related sustainability claims, ensure accuracy and credibility in the marketplace, and support broader sustainability storytelling to consumers. You will have the opportunity to exercise your passion and entrepreneurial spirit working in cooperation with TBL and VF teams while driving employee engagement at the Timberland headquarters, educating, motivating, and inspiring more sustainable behaviors.
What you will do:
- Partner with cross-functional teams, the broader VF Sustainability team, other relevant VF functions, and Timberland leadership to meet sustainability goals and track key performance indicators
- Provide cross-functional teams with guidance for strategic prioritization of sustainable product/material/packaging innovations with most significant impact potential, in support of a 2030 Product Roadmap
- Project manage development of data collection strategy to report impacts associated with sustainable product/material/packaging innovations in most credible, cost effective, and scalable ways possible
- Provide guidance to product/materials teams on circular product design and regenerative natural material sourcing
- Provide guidance to marketing/communications teams to communicate circularity, regenerative agriculture, and other sustainability topics to consumers in most compelling way while maintaining technical accuracy
- Define the purpose for and lead a Timberland Green Working Group (GWG or similar)
- Serve on VF’s Sustainability Council and liaise with other VF brands to drive sustainability at Timberland and throughout the organization, ensuring alignment between VF Science-based Targets and Timberland sustainability goals
- In partnership with VF sustainability data function, present analysis of tracked progress and compiled metrics to Timberland leadership showing results and opportunities for improvement
- Recruit, onboard, and lead external sustainability partners and consultants in support of brand sustainability strategies and objectives, especially with respect to regenerative agriculture
How you will do it:
- Work collaboratively with product teams in establishing strategic long-term direction for improving the environmental impacts of Timberland products – establishing sustainable product roadmaps with leadership targets for all product and packaging categories based on LCA data, industry benchmarking, and best practices
- Work closely with corporate communications and marketing teams to effectively communicate progress internally and externally – educating and inspiring stakeholders (employees, retailers, consumers) about the positive impact the Timberland business has had and further aims.
- Engage with Timberland consumer base, while acting as subject matter expert through ongoing industry research and efforts to understand trends, work with thought leaders and attend conferences
- Partner and collaborate with external suppliers and industry non-profits
- Drive innovative projects for sustainable business practices
- Evaluate financial implications and opportunities for sustainability initiatives
- Recognize the business challenges and work toward solutions that meet both business and sustainability goals
What success looks like:
You will make sustainability accessible and fun for teams, ultimately improving employee engagement and impacting real change throughout Timberland brand and VF Corporation for generations to come.
- Years of related professional experience: 8+ years
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, or related field
- Equivalent years of experience in a substantially similar industry may be considered in lieu of a degree to be determined by the nature of the specific job and the hiring manager’s criteria
- Deep knowledge of sustainability industry best practices and innovations, especially with respect to footwear and apparel (preferred)
- Deep knowledge on the topics of regenerative agriculture and circular product design
- Knowledge and experience interpreting life-cycle assessments and making decisions based on results
- Knowledge and experience with carbon accounting, especially with respect to natural carbon sinks
- Understanding of retail business practices
- A demonstrated passion for sustainability and innovating actionable solutions for sustained change
- Strong organization and analytical skills and the ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- A team player able to work comfortably and effectively in cross-functional teams with members from all levels of the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills (particularly the ability to work collaboratively with and influence others) to effectively lead interdisciplinary companywide projects
- Strong oral and written communication skills a must
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, 15-25% of time
- Experience working with global operations and cultures a plus
To apply for this job please visit vfc.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.