Website U.S. Agency for International Development
Location: Washington, DC
Open Period: 05/27/2021 – 06/10/2021
Salary: (USD) $116,786 – (USD) $171,504 (annually)
The Senior Gender Advisor is a full-time staff person who actively facilitates the work of DRG Center colleagues, including through the DRG Center’s Gender Working Group (GWG), to integrate gender considerations into DRG programs, budgets, training, and learning activities. The Senior Gender Advisor serves as a resource for DRG Center staff and USAID DRG field officers on the integration of gender equality and female empowerment across all DRG sub-sectors.
Gender Analysis and Technical Leadership (40 percent)
The DRG Center requires a Senior Gender Advisor to: 1) provide robust gender analysis for Center and Mission DRG programs, including by overseeing Center research efforts aimed at identifying and addressing constraints on women’s full participation in the political, social, and economic life of their country, including constraints that affect fundamental human rights; and 2) provide DRG technical leadership and representation in working groups and other lines of effort to shape and ensure implementation of Agency and USG gender policies.
Gender Working Group Leadership and Management (60 percent)
The Senior Gender Advisor is a full-time staff person who actively facilitates the work of DRG Center colleagues, including through the Gender Working Group (GWG), to integrate gender considerations into DRG programs, budgets, training, and learning activities. The Advisor serves as a resource for DRG Center staff and USAID DRG field officers on the integration of gender equality and female empowerment across all DRG sub-sectors, and will serve as the Center’s representative on other Agency and interagency gender working groups, liaising with other gender advisors and the Agency’s Gender Coordinator. The Advisor will assume leadership of the GWG by providing direction and vision for the implementation of GWG activities and ensuring visibility of the GWG in DRG Center strategic planning.
- Leads implementation, monitors progress, and ensures compliance of DRG Center strategies and programs with USAID’s GEFE Policy, ADS 205, and the U.S. Strategy to Prevent and Respond to Gender-Based Violence globally, the Women, Peace, and Security Act of 2017, and other related policies and strategies.
- Provides technical support on DRG-related gender analysis and program integration for the Center, and to USAID Missions, as required.
- Co-leads research efforts aimed at identifying and addressing constraints on women’s full participation in the political, social, and economic life of their country, including constraints that affect fundamental human rights.
- Serves as the DRG Center’s point person for gender-related queries and reporting requirements, including coordinating responses with the sector-specific technical leads on talking points, briefings, requests for information, etc.
- Guides the DRG Center on operational issues related to gender integration and works closely with DRG teams to coordinate gender-related inputs into the annual Performance Plan and Report (PPR) and Mission Country Development Cooperation Strategies (CDCS).
- Working with relevant DRG Center points of contact, including on Countering Trafficking in Persons (CTIP) and Preventing Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA), ensures Center representation and technical leadership in Agency and interagency meetings and working groups, and informs DRG Center staff of relevant initiatives, policies, strategies, and other guidance.
- Provides guidance to the Training and Leadership Team and DRG staff on integrating gender into the Center’s training curricula and ensuring DRG Center staff have access to Agency-wide trainings on gender and GBV.
The U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Democracy, Human Rights, and Governance Center (DRG Center) seeks applications from qualified individuals for a full-time Foreign Service Limited appointment as a Senior Gender Advisor. The DRG Center serves to elevate and integrate democracy, human rights and governance within the Agency’s overall development portfolio.
All DDI employees are measured on how they foster a climate of respect in interactions with others, value differing perspectives, and treat others in a fair, equitable, and culturally sensitive manner. All employees are expected to adhere to equal employment opportunity (EEO) policies and value diversity and inclusion in performing everyday duties and responsibilities.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level FSL-3 of this position. Examples of specialized experience include:
- Contributing to the design, analysis, monitoring, and/or implementation of international development programs related to gender.
- Leading or assisting in project management of programs related to gender.
- Maintaining professional, collaborative relationships with partner government entities, multilateral and bilateral donors, international organizations, private sector partners, or non-governmental partners in the context of programs related to gender.
- Providing technical assistance to clients designing, implementing, or evaluating programs focused on gender.
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
Interested candidates should submit:
- Cover Letter expressing interest and clearly addressing the stated requirements for the position;
- Three References;
- Stated security clearance level, if applicable;
- Stated U.S. citizenship (If citizenship is not stated – application will not be considered); and
- DD214 and other veteran status, if applicable.
Please submit your application package to DDIFSLJobs@usaid.gov. Please use the subject line “FSL APPLICATION PACKAGE: Announcement Number: 32851, Senior Gender Advisor, FSL-2, DDI/DRG.” Application submissions are required by June 10, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. (EST). Packages not submitted by the deadline with the specified subject line—or incomplete packages—will not receive consideration.
To apply for this job please visit www.usaid.gov.