Website Clif Bar
Location: Emeryville, CA
A different kind of…
“We’re working to run a different kind of company. The kind of place we’d want to work, that makes the kind of food we’d like to eat, and that strives for a healthier, more sustainable world –the kind of world we’d like to pass on to our children.” – Kit Crawford, Co–Founder
Guided by our innovative business model & the Five Aspirations – Sustaining our Business, Brands, People, Community & Planet – we believe that food provides health, joy and energy to do the things we love. Working at Clif Bar is a chance to make impactful changes. To your career. To your community. To your planet. And, to your life!
The Impact & Communications team is looking for a Senior Director, Sustainability Impact.
We want to support our people to live the lives they want to live so we’ve created career opportunities and a work environment where our people can grow and succeed both personally and professionally.
The Senior Director, Sustainability Impact will be a thought leader and influencer that informs and shapes Clif Bar & Company’s strategic vision for making plant-based food in a responsible and sustainable way and leads us in the cross-functional execution of major sustainability initiatives, focusing on both environmental and social responsibility, across the Clif Bar & Company value chain. The role provides strategic leadership across a portfolio of sustainability areas including climate, waste, packaging, social programs, and reporting. The role will be a collaborative business partner that provides direction to ensure informed, science-based decision making and consistency for the company. This position brings a strong, pragmatic and results-oriented focus to driving the sustainability agenda for Clif Bar, ensuring consistent reporting and data integrity, and at the same time inspire the team by connecting the sustainability strategy to our purpose to “Redesign the business of food for health, equity and earth.”
Objectives and Responsibilities
- Guide the organization towards a clear short and long-term vision for sustainability. Create a clear framework of ambitions, strategies, goals and metrics that manifest in the Company’s Growth Game Plan and allows both functions and brands to contribute to the company goals.
- Define and lead a comprehensive data gathering and reporting process for all key sustainability metrics. Interpret and define actions based on progress, and continually evaluate how short-term results will allow us to achieve the long-range plan.
- Establish and manage a process for prioritization and focus for the sustainability efforts of the Company. Lead the creation of roadmaps in close collaboration with internal partners for eventual functional ownership of key workstreams.
- Manage performance for current and future sustainability programs and support the Company strategic business plan and annual operating plan. Ensure that programs are designed to be embedded within the organization where ownership and performance can be realized.
- Provide expertise to leaders on a broad range of business-critical topics and impact areas related to both environmental and social responsibility. Give guidance to program managers in key sustainability focus areas, including climate action, waste reduction, packaging sustainability, human rights and economic equity, agricultural resilience, and social compliance.
- Partner with the Food Supply, Innovation and Sourcing organizations among others to ensure that programs and roadmaps are designed to be practical, focused and efficient.
- Manage relationships with NGOs, trade associations and other external stakeholders to protect and enhance the Company’s reputation.
- Develop team members with clear growth plans; provide candid and continuous feedback to drive accountability and team/individual performance.
Position-Specific Skills Required
- 10+ years in consumer products or food/bev with a sustainability focus required.
- Experience in development and leadership of a comprehensive sustainability strategy, as well as driving results/impact in the short-term operating plan.
- Experience with purpose-driven brands, and how to create consumer and customer trust through sustainability credentials a plus.
- Maintain an externally facing mindset, including staying on top of consumer, competitive, and macroeconomic/geopolitical trends.
- Deep knowledge of sustainability and understanding trends and actions taken by competitors across the food/bev and CPG industry.
- Can create a science-based collaborative approach to sustainability that is solid and credible.
- Ability to build strategic platforms from the ground up.
- Proven ability to lead a team.
Leadership Skills Required
- Ability to transcend the organization to educate and facilitate, rapid science-based decision making in sustainability.
- Understand and facilitate trade-off conversations between cost, quality and sustainability.
- Ability to collaborate and influence cross-functional stakeholders and teams to support vision and direction.
- Strong ability to inform, advise and influence senior executives and comfortable with executive engagement.
- Ability to inspire by linking sustainability to our company purpose and 5 Aspirations business model.
Most importantly, you take yourself lightly and your work seriously. And…bring your best self to work every day!
At Clif Bar, the journey has always been more important than the destination. HOW we get things done is as important as WHAT gets done, and our Ingredients (CREATE, INSPIRE, CONNECT, OWN IT, BE YOURSELF) remind us of just that. We challenge and celebrate one another, we help to balance each other’s’ lives, and we value laughter and fun as integral qualities in our workplace.
We value diversity and celebrate our people being their most authentic selves. We believe that an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace makes us more innovative, effective, and resilient. We welcome people from all backgrounds, races, ethnicities, cultures, gender identifications, sexual orientations, religions, national origins, and all the other individual characteristics that truly make us a different kind of company! Clif Bar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We’ve created an environment where we all can grow and succeed both personally and professionally, that inspires and supports our people inside and outside of work.
We sustain our people with competitive pay, comprehensive paid time off and company matching on 401k contributions. Employees can opt for a flexible work schedule and are encouraged to participate in volunteer opportunities during the workday. Additionally, our people enjoy a paid sabbatical program and sustainability benefits including a commute incentive program. We also provide innovative benefits and holistic wellness offerings including an onsite fitness center (currently closed), personal trainers, paid workout time, as well as concierge services such as life coaching, acupuncture, chiropractic, massage therapy, and organic produce delivery. For family wellbeing, we offer parental and family leave, an onsite childcare center, and an adoption assistance program to help cover related expenses. In 2010, Kit & Gary implemented an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) recognizing employees’ roles in helping build our business. We have been named best place to work by Outside and Fortune Magazines, and did we mention every day is bring your dog to work day? Ruff life.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.