Website Clif Bar
Location: Emeryville, CA
The Impact & Communications team is looking for a Senior Director, Sustainability Impact .
We want to support our people to live the lives they want to live so we’ve created career opportunities and a work environment where our people can grow and succeed both personally and professionally.
The Senior Director, Sustainability Impact will be a thought leader and influencer that informs and shapes Clif Bar & Company’s strategic vision for making plant-based food in a responsible and sustainable way and leads us in the cross-functional execution of major sustainability initiatives, focusing on both environmental and social responsibility, across the Clif Bar & Company value chain. The role provides strategic leadership across a portfolio of sustainability areas including climate, waste, packaging, social programs, and reporting. The role will be a collaborative business partner that provides direction to ensure informed, science-based decision making and consistency for the company. This position brings a strong, pragmatic and results-oriented focus to driving the sustainability agenda for Clif Bar, ensuring consistent reporting and data integrity, and at the same time inspire the team by connecting the sustainability strategy to our purpose to “Redesign the business of food for health, equity and earth.”
- Guide the organization towards a clear short and long-term vision for sustainability. Create a clear framework of ambitions, strategies, goals and metrics that manifest in the Company’s Growth Game Plan and allows both functions and brands to contribute to the company goals.
- Define and lead a comprehensive data gathering and reporting process for all key sustainability metrics. Interpret and define actions based on progress, and continually evaluate how short-term results will allow us to achieve the long-range plan.
- Establish and manage a process for prioritization and focus for the sustainability efforts of the Company. Lead the creation of roadmaps in close collaboration with internal partners for eventual functional ownership of key workstreams.
- Manage performance for current and future sustainability programs and support the Company strategic business plan and annual operating plan. Ensure that programs are designed to be embedded within the organization where ownership and performance can be realized.
- Provide expertise to leaders on a broad range of business-critical topics and impact areas related to both environmental and social responsibility. Give guidance to program managers in key sustainability focus areas, including climate action, waste reduction, packaging sustainability, human rights and economic equity, agricultural resilience, and social compliance.
- Partner with the Food Supply, Innovation and Sourcing organizations among others to ensure that programs and roadmaps are designed to be practical, focused and efficient.
- Manage relationships with NGOs, trade associations and other external stakeholders to protect and enhance the Company’s reputation.
- Develop team members with clear growth plans; provide candid and continuous feedback to drive accountability and team/individual performance.
- 10+ years in consumer products or food/bev with a sustainability focus required.
- Experience in development and leadership of a comprehensive sustainability strategy, as well as driving results/impact in the short-term operating plan.
- Experience with purpose-driven brands, and how to create consumer and customer trust through sustainability credentials a plus.
- Maintain an externally facing mindset, including staying on top of consumer, competitive, and macroeconomic/geopolitical trends.
- Deep knowledge of sustainability and understanding trends and actions taken by competitors across the food/bev and CPG industry.
- Can create a science-based collaborative approach to sustainability that is solid and credible.
- Ability to build strategic platforms from the ground up.
- Proven ability to lead a team.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.