Website Environmental Defense Fund
Location: Washington, DC
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
The Senior Director is a leader on the US Climate team and will have responsibility for overseeing the majority of EDF’s climate policy design and analysis work. The Senior Director is accountable for ensuring the analytical rigor and substantive accuracy of the U.S. climate policy content EDF prepares for formal or informal advocacy. The Senior Director will have high-level policy expertise, manage the analytics team, and will help shape our internal and external messaging on various climate policy issues. The Senior Director will build relationships with key donors, trustees, external experts and other key stakeholders. The Senior Director reports to the Vice President, U.S. Climate.
- Help develop and execute EDF’s policy and analysis agenda and oversee analytical efforts to support the work.
- Create clear, ambitious, and measurable federal climate policy objectives, recommend and refine advocacy positions, and ensure EDF maintains a robust, up-to-date, and sophisticated understanding of the policy landscape
- Review and respond to legislative proposals and serve as an expert resource to Capitol Hill staff in partnership with EDF lobbyists
- Write and contribute to white papers, technical reports, policy briefs, and other communications materials aimed at external audiences including policymakers, key NGO stakeholders, and donors
- Create powerful narratives outlining the vision for and impact of our work, primarily targeted to donors and development prospects
- Represent EDF as a thought leader and trusted expert to external audiences, including by presenting our vision, research, analysis and findings in a compelling and persuasive manner
- Inspire major donors and prospects to support our work
- Manage program and cross-cutting staff including analysts, economists, and consultants
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
The successful candidate must have exceptional problem solving skills and a demonstrated ability to ensure consistency and quality of research products. You should also have:
- Graduate degree in economics or public policy with more than 12 years of experience working on policy development and advocacy on issues including climate, clean energy, market-based incentives, environmental justice, and equity
- Significant experience overseeing, conducting and presenting on timely, policy-relevant research and analysis
- A deep understanding of all dimensions of the climate policy landscape, and an adeptness with the relevant fundamentals of economic theory and practice
- Demonstrated success in managing matrixed and interdisciplinary teams
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to effectively synthesize and communicate technical and policy findings in a clear and concise manner to colleagues internally and to external non-technical audiences
- Strong writing, analytical, and communication skills
- Enthusiasm and aptitude for understanding politics and working within political context
- Passion for environmental protection, coupled with a focus on pragmatic, results-based policy solutions
- Commitment to ensuring that climate policy centers environmental justice and equity
- Strong ability to work autonomously, set priorities, and take initiative consistent with broad strategic guidance and to execute in a fast-paced environment with changing needs and critical deadlines
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
To apply for this job please visit www.edf.org.