Location: Europe (multiple locations)
The SustainAbility Institute by ERM (the Institute — see the Institute website and Minerva page for more information) is seeking two motivated Managers, one each in North America and Europe, to help conceive, deliver, and project manage a variety of research, networks, and consulting-related activity in line with the Institute’s purpose to define, accelerate, and scale sustainability performance by developing actionable insight for business.
This is an excellent opportunity to work with a fast-paced team committed to producing world-class research and insights. Institute outputs showcase ERM’s knowledge of the sustainability agenda and its ability to help clients operationalize their sustainability ambitions and boost ERM’s external reputation. Current Institute research topics are framed through ERM’s Market Drivers (LCET, ESG / Sustainable Finance, and Resilience) and explore subject matter relating to ERM’s Services and Technical Capabilities as well as the wider sustainable development agenda. All the Institute’s research since launch in October 2020 is found under Thinking on the Institute website. The Research & Networks Managers will do similar work and help deepen and diversify Institute outputs in the future.
The Research & Networks Managers will also help Institute colleagues and other ERM subject matter experts (SMEs) develop and operate Institute networks designed to help corporate practitioners access peer learning and share common challenges, best practices, trends, and opportunities in ways that help them improve sustainability performance. Current networks include the ERM ESG Ratings Working Group and the Collective. Other networks are under consideration / in various stages of development.
The Institute team also directly and indirectly (by supporting other ERM teams) participates in the development and delivery of ERM client work, which connects the team to the business and exposes the team to client needs that inform other Institute activities.
This new role will comprise approximately 40% research, 20% networks, 20% consulting, and 20% general institute representation and development. Because Institute activities span the full spectrum of ERM’s Market Drivers, Services, and Technical Capabilities, interest in and understanding of the breadth of the sustainability agenda and the ability to work nimbly across diverse project subject matter and project types are paramount to success. Additionally, the Institute team is small and geographically spread, meaning the ability to work independently and to represent the Institute to internal and external stakeholders of varying seniority are essential. This role requires engaging internal and external stakeholders globally, which demands some schedule flexibility to accommodate meetings cutting across time zones.
- Participate in the development and delivery of Institute research & insights including reports, briefings, op-eds, surveys, blogs, interviews, podcasts, and other material e.g. video interviews.
- Lead research projects as appropriate e.g. one of the Managers will play leadership role in the delivery of the Institute’s Annual Trends while the other leads production of two annual GlobeScan / SustainAbility Institute by ERM Surveys with Institute partner GlobeScan.
- Work with ERM SMEs on the development and delivery of research and insights and with internal and external designers on publication design, with ERM MarComms on internal and external distribution and promotion of publications and other products, etc.
- Work with the Director of the Institute, other Institute team members, and ERM SMEs to manage operations and deliver member benefits for existing networks and to develop and launch new networks aligned with the Institute and ERM’s.
- Identify consulting opportunities with new and existing clients, prepare effective proposals, and take an active role in consulting project delivery. Develop and expand client relationships that generate repeat business.
- Lead consulting projects and ensure that they produce both high impact and high quality deliverables, pushing clients to be more strategic and ambitious in their sustainability efforts.
- Meet agreed UB targets (minimum 20%).
- Serve as Project Manager (PM) to Institute research, network, and consulting projects including all aspects of budgeting and ERM systems use (e.g. Salesforce and GMS) required to run Institute projects in line with time and financial budgets and other expectations.
- Raise internal awareness and perception of the value of thought leadership and networks and the Institute more broadly, e.g. by organizing internal events that feature Institute work.
- Represent the Institute externally e.g. with partners, as a speaker, as a facilitator, etc.
- Actively contribute to the Sustainability Strategy & Disclosure Technical Community and to other relevant communities on Yammer and Chatter as well as external social media.
- Manage and mentor other ERM staff in planning and execution of projects/networks.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, business, commerce, communications, political science, or other relevant discipline. MBA or master’s degree in relevant discipline preferred.
- Five-seven years of relevant work experience in international consultancy, a corporate sustainability team, and/or other sustainability thought leadership organization.
- Proven track record of supporting/leading the production of reports, briefs, blogs, and other publications. Effective written and verbal communication and organization/analytical skills as well as the ability to conduct primary and secondary research are essential.
- Experience with meeting design, facilitation, member networks, and/or stakeholder convening.
- Experience leading consulting and business development activities, with a proven track record of producing high quality deliverables, demonstrated ability to lead client relationships, and experience as a Project Manager.
- Highly competent user of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel as well as Salesforce and GMS.
- Proven ability to function well as a member of a dynamic and inter-connected team, in which the ability to work independently (at times with minimal supervision) and to collaborate with others are both important as is the ability to multi-task and maintain flexibility.
- Confidence managing peers and managing up as required.
To apply for this job please visit erm.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.