Website Massachusetts Clean Energy Center
Location: Boston, MA
The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) seeks a motivated and organized candidate to join the organization as a Program Manager. The Program Manager will support MassCEC in accelerating the advancement of key decarbonization technologies and actions, furthering economic development in the Massachusetts clean energy industry, and helping to meet the Commonwealth’s climate goals.
MassCEC has four focus areas: Offshore Wind, High Performance Buildings, Clean Transportation, and Grid Modernization. MassCEC funds a wide range of programs including incentives for clean energy market development, financing for early-stage companies and technology development as well as investments in training programs to build a clean energy workforce.
MassCEC expects the responsibilities of this position to evolve and expand as MassCEC pursues future endeavors. The Program Manager will have contributing responsibility for developing MassCEC programs and other funding solicitations, stakeholder workshops, training series, and related work. The Program Manager’s responsibilities will include coordination of (and participation in) review of program applications, contributing to awardee selection, oversight of contracting processes, and support in management of ongoing grants.
The Program Manager will also serve a key role as the primary stakeholder contact during solicitations, contracting, and award management stages of these programs. As such, the Program Manager must demonstrate excellent communication skills with external stakeholders and a keen ability to track the details of complex, ongoing, multi-party projects.
The Program Manager will contribute to MassCEC’s role as a convener in the Commonwealth’s clean energy community and will gain a diverse body of knowledge relating to the energy sector and associated industries. This is an opportunity for a hardworking and motivated candidate to take ownership of significant responsibilities and build on diverse energy skill set while developing deep relationships across the Massachusetts clean energy sector.
This position will work in the Offshore Wind focus area. The Program Manager will manage and support key sector development initiatives, including workforce and supply chain. This position reports to the Managing Director for Offshore Wind and works closely with other members on the offshore wind team and within MassCEC.
The Program Manager’s job responsibilities consist of a range of activities to support program objectives:
- Support and advance efforts for Massachusetts to be a national leader and innovator in offshore wind workforce development and education, developing a well-trained and highly-skilled workforce with emphasis on diversity and safety, including:
- Identifying and addressing information gaps and research and analysis needs to inform strategic, evidence-based workforce development initiatives that meet the needs of both the industry and workers.
- Engagement with the offshore wind industry on workforce development to ensure Massachusetts efforts align with their needs, while also tailoring efforts to align with the state and regional landscape.
- Develop and manage programs to provide support for essential, high-need training and educational programs to meet identified needs and fill gaps.
- Convene, support, and facilitate practitioners and stakeholders—including industry, academia, training providers, workforce development organizations, community-based organizations, and others—to share information, ideas, challenges, and best practices relating to offshore wind workforce development.
- Work closely with workforce experts, community-based organizations, environmental justice advocacy groups, and other stakeholders to proactively support programs and initiatives that build a Massachusetts offshore wind workforce that is diverse, equitable, inclusive, and just.
- Build and expand the local offshore wind supply chain by enabling existing suppliers and service providers to expand into the offshore wind sector and attracting new companies to locate in Massachusetts, including:
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with Massachusetts economic development and workforce training agencies, industry associations, and stakeholders.
- Provide information on the Massachusetts offshore wind market and connecting businesses to one another, to state and local resources and entities, and to other stakeholders and participants in the industry.
- Develop and maintain relationships with offshore wind companies and supply chain businesses, serving as an intermediary or “concierge” for the sector.
- Support and expand an offshore wind supply chain network of businesses through the establishment of formal alliances and by identifying the service, products, equipment, supplies, and other aspects in an online portal and through contact with the companies.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date knowledge and expertise on key technical, regulatory and market factors affecting the growth of the offshore wind sectors.
- Track and document growth of the Massachusetts offshore wind sector; perform market analyses and provide timely and strategic advice to Managing Director.
- Advise Managing Director on opportunities for expanding or revising initiatives to reduce project development and deployment risks, address barriers, advance innovation, and increase jobs and economic activity in the offshore wind sector.
The Program Manager will also provide support for workflow in other MassCEC offshore wind program areas including ports and infrastructure, research and innovation, and transmission. The Program Manager may also have the opportunity to work in other focus areas, depending on the needs of the organization. Experience in civil, commercial, or environmental construction contracting, permitting, administration or planning is preferred.
A successful Program Manager identifies issues as or before they arise, and resolves them promptly by working collaboratively with the Managing Director, Program Director, grantee/consultant, and other parts of the organization as needed, including Finance, Legal, other team members and senior management. Specific duties include:
- Provide comprehensive support to coordinate the day-to-day activities of MassCEC programs, including the following:
- Review applications for compliance with program requirements;
- Manage application queues and tracking;
- Provide timely responses to inquiries from applicants, potential applicants, installers, lenders, awardees and other program stakeholders;
- Draft programmatic requirements for grantee and consultant contracts;
- Alert team members to potential problems and work cooperatively with the program team and relevant stakeholders to ensure prompt resolutions;
- Maintain detailed databases and supporting files on specific programs, including tracking files and key business documents, including project and program metrics, and ensure proper processing and archiving; and
- Support program development processes, including conducting research, supporting stakeholder outreach, drafting program requirements;
- Support Managing Director and Program Director in program development, including maintaining internal schedules, development steps, and external communications;
- Proactively review, adjust, and enhance existing program administration workflow and tools in response to program design changes or opportunities for operating efficiency.
- Record and maintain awards and invoices in the award management system, assisting project teams to monitor their contracts and awards, ensure project/contract integrity, and track results;
- Organize and participate in stakeholder meetings with developers, manufacturers and other supply chain businesses, training providers, consultants, and other industry members;
- Provide presentations and briefings and represent MassCEC at public meetings and conferences;
- Work with the communications team to update program information on the website and send emails about program updates to stakeholders;
- Delegate tasks to and assist in the supervision of temporary staff and/or interns;
- Monitor project schedules and run reports to track project status, results and internal operating efficiency;
- Assist with internal metrics and budget reporting for assigned programs.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in energy or environmental science/studies, economics, business management or related field.
- 4+ years of experience in program management and administration;
- Experience with project or program management, particularly around effective team communication, prioritization, and management;
- 4+ years of experience using the Microsoft Suite in a work setting;
- Experience in the public sector, renewable energy industry or grant administration a plus;
- Experience developing and managing Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and similar solicitations;
- Experience managing contracts/awards and consultants/contractors on work product quality, schedule and budget; and
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Analytical mindset with rigorous attention to detail;
- Well-developed customer service skills and proficient organizational skills;
- Keen understanding of prioritization and an ability to work on multiple projects under tight deadlines effectively;
- Demonstrated ability to get up-to-speed quickly and work independently;
- Excellent problem-resolution skills, and demonstrated ability to make informed decisions;
- Team-first attitude and the capacity to be flexible in a dynamic work environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work with internal and external stakeholders, and cultivate appropriate relationships;
- Demonstrated experience in working with and synthesizing a broad range of technical, economic, and policy-based information;
- Working knowledge of basic accounting and payment processing (budgets, invoices, etc.) preferred;
- Ability to read and absorb complex contracts, polices, rules, etc. and extract the information needed to ensure compliance with each;
- Understanding of the drivers and challenges associated with industry expansion in new markets, and the role of public incentives and other tools and practices to accelerate industry growth;
- Experience with databases / large data sets;
- Strong mastery of Excel with an ability to explain graphic information effectively;
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic, and verbal/written communication skills;
- Demonstrated experience collaborating across teams and divisions and with multiple clients and partners; and
- Experience with making cross-functional decisions impacting business processes and results.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.