Website National Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
Location: Chicago, IL
NRDC is seeking a dynamic, impactful, and collaborative leader to oversee a team advocating for multi-sector Climate & Energy equitable policies, programs and partnerships at the regional, state and city levels within the Midwest region of the United States. The Multi-Sector Regional Lead is responsible for leading the development of a holistic and transformative regional strategy for the sectors in their region as well as connecting the region’s city and state work with NRDC’s national policy efforts. The position also coordinates and connects efforts within the region with Buildings, Industrial, Power, Transportation as well as with other NRDC regionally oriented capacities and departments to integrate sector work into institutional priorities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the following essential functions:
- Lead and develop a holistic regional strategy to build-out and advocate for integrated Climate & Energy and equitable policy and program implementation solutions in regions (including integrated regional, state and city solutions) across Buildings, Industrial, Power, Transportation. This should be undertaken in collaboration with colleagues within their regional team, across the Climate & Energy sectors, with the Equity & Community Partnerships team, and with key capacities across NRDC.
- Collaborating closely with counterparts in other sector groupings as well as Regional Leads in the new CPA to align on institutional priorities within target geographies.
- In collaboration with colleagues across NRDC, develop regional advocacy approaches for policy reform and implementation activities.
- Lead the creation, execution, and measurement of the team’s operational work plans in support of the regional strategy and advocacy plans in collaboration with the sectors.
- Leverage existing relationships with key external strategic partners to accelerate and deepen action. Support development of new relationships, in coordination with E&CP counterpart, with additional relevant environmental justice, community, labor, business and other partners and stakeholders as well as government decision-makers and key policy staff, coordinating closely with staff leading on community partner engagement.
- Manage team, including policy and professional development, and oversee matrixed team collaboration. Provide regular individual coaching, feedback, and development while fostering team cohesion.
- Manage a regional budget, including forecasting, tracking, and resource allocation to maximize opportunities and outcomes.
- Responsibility for delivering on grant milestones and requirements in their region and for working with NRDC’s Development team on fundraising.
- Working with NRDC’s communications team, serve as key external voice of NRDC on regional climate and energy issues.
- Identify and lead or facilitate key analytical projects to support advocacy.
- Perform other duties as assigned by direct manager or as part of the matrix team.
The above list of duties is not comprehensive but generally demonstrates the types of matters under this position’s responsibility. Other duties may be assigned.
- Minimum 7 years’ directly related experience, including at least 2 years successfully managing teams within a matrixed structure toward a common vision and purpose.
- Bachelor’s degree in sustainability, environmental studies, policy, public administration, or a related field or equivalent work experience; advanced degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Significant policy advocacy, implementation, and campaign experience in at least one and preferably all the relevant sectors (Buildings, Industrial, Power, Transportation), with strong understanding and network of relationships within the relevant region.
- Experience being part of large, cross-sector, multi-partner initiatives.
- Experience successfully managing teams, including managing performance, giving feedback, coaching, and developing employees preferred.
- Experience working collaboratively across teams towards shared outcomes.
- Experience utilizing and implementing equity frameworks or working with partners and communities to ensure equitable outcomes of policies and programs.
- Experience building productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to establish efficient processes and systems.
- Detail-oriented and committed to quality output.
- Demonstrable alignment and deep commitment to NRDC’s mission and purpose with an ability to communicate this passion to others with a positive and high-energy attitude, integrity, and a commitment to working collaboratively with peers and colleagues.
- Experience successfully managing budgets, including prioritizing and reallocating funds to make the best use of limited resources for strategic purposes.
- Substantial experience and demonstrated success working with BIPOC-led groups to advance a common goal.
- Experience in and deep commitment to incorporating and growing the use of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion principles in strategic goals, work plans, team culture, and operations.
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to connect with a variety of audiences in writing, orally, and through digital means.
- Experience with public speaking on technical and non-technical topics
- Proven success in building strong partnerships with regional leaders and organizations.
- Broad knowledge of environmental issues and environmental donors.
- Successful development fundraising experience.
- Ability to travel to NRDC U.S. based offices, approximately 10-15% annually.
- Commitment to NRDC’s mission and values.
To apply for this job please visit careers-nrdc.icims.com.