Website Williams-Sonoma Inc.
Location: San Fransisco, CA
The Sustainability Manager is integral to continue establishing WSI as the leading sustainable home furnishings company, building off the company’s recognition as one of Barron’s 100 Most Sustainable Companies for six years running. This role is highly cross-functional, and the ideal candidate will need to build strong relationships, be comfortable with a wide range of responsibilities from crafting narratives to analyzing data, remain undeterred in the face of obstacles, problem-solve, and know how to navigate and influence within a large and complex organization.
As a Sustainability Manager, you will oversee all internal training and resources (Sustainability hub content, brand reporting), events (Earth Day, International Women’s Day, Good By Design Award, etc.), marketing guidance and certification guides for brand-level on-product marketing and more. You will work with the Director of sustainability and cross-functional partners such as brand (merchants, marketing, and product development), public relations and corporate marketing & communications, legal and external nonprofit partners to ensure that we maintain our sustainability leadership across our enterprise and with key external and internal audiences and continue to develop the tools, training, and materials that embed sustainability and social impact into our business and enable us to speak to these initiatives with transparency and authenticity.
Key responsibilities include oversight and management of corporate and brand internal engagement in sustainability implementation as well as external communications strategies.
- Develop and oversee execution of the sustainability internal engagement strategy, including: brand president and leadership, all WSI associate engagement events and opportunities, program specific training opportunities and cadence, new hire orientation content, store communications and training, ongoing communications (newsletters, organic inspirational stories, industry best practices and innovations) and vendor sustainability communications; regularly innovate on new ways to improve internal communications and education around sustainability to drive adoption of programs.
- Work with CMO, WSI PR, and brand marketing to support cross-brand sustainability storytelling that is accurate, authentic, and impactful and increase overall sustainability marketing alignment at the corporate and brand level. Work with the broader ESG team to support each brand in communicating customer-relevant and business-driven sustainability initiatives, meet public goals, and the develop new goals.
- Oversee creation of resources to support brands in tracking, authenticating, and marketing sustainability commitments and sustainable product information (including but not limited to certification marketing guide, approved certification language, approval process for certifying bodies and nonprofit partners, etc.)
- Vet, establish and help maintain key nonprofit partnerships
- Work closely with global sustainability team to ensure successful training and engagement with WSI Global offices and associated.
- Develop strategies to advance WSI’s sustainability efforts in collaboration with internal stakeholders, WSI supply chain partners, NGOs and environmental experts, relevant associations, and peers in the industry.
- Follow industry trends, best practices, emerging regulations, and competitor’s initiatives to inform ongoing strategy and disclosures and keep cross-functional stakeholders informed.
- 5+ years’ related experience in sustainability, communication and training, or corporate responsibility in supply chain or retail.
- Dynamic leader, skilled at managing senior stakeholders and effecting change through influence and able to motivate and mentor others within work group
- Strong communicator, with the ability to think big picture while considering implementation and develop clear, precise training materials.
- Strong data and quantitative skills to drive strategic decision-making
- Strong information-seeking and problem-solving skills and a drive to make things happen
- Ability to listen, understand challenges or underlying concerns, share ideas and develop effective responses or elevate to higher management
- Confident public speaker
- Embodies the highest level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- A true passion for sustainability and environmental impact
- Self-directed, creative problem solver.
- Maintains a global perspective and is culturally sensitive and aware.
- Influences key members of the organization at all levels.
- Possesses a personally engaging style with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Thrives in a collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrates a creative, energetic and motivated spirit.
- Possesses attention to detail while managing simultaneous project in a dynamic environment.
To apply for this job please visit ehac.fa.us6.oraclecloud.com.