Location: Beaverton, OR
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Innovation is one of the key areas at Nike that where we can create materials and technologies of the future with drastically lower carbon impact. We consider the full lifecycle of our impact, with specific focus on raw materials and manufacturing of footwear and apparel materials. In this capacity, we’re seeking a Life Cycle Assessment Expert with a demonstrable ability to lead and/or work on multi-functional teams, provide project management support, and help us truly understand and solve for lower carbon impact materials and processes. This role will help us drive strategic focus by modeling the potential future impact across a whole portfolio of advanced innovations.
- Life Cycle Assessment data collection and management from potential material vendors, start-ups, and technology development partners.
- Using internal LCA modeling/software capabilities to validate, expose, understand material LCAs.
- Evaluating new technology in key footwear and apparel material areas and value chain including production of raw materials and their chemical precursors, dyeing/finishing, and material processing.
- Providing prospective assessments and key insights that help us innovate for lower carbon impact materials across the material lifecycle.
- Presentation of results/assessment to technical and non-technical teams as well as material vendors and supply chain partners.
- Providing data visualization techniques to describe impact potential and reporting on progress
- Support innovation development from ideation through scale while effectively influencing and communicating sustainability impacts and potential at scale.
- Helping set strategy and targets through data based on evaluation against benchmark materials via a life-cycle approach
- Develop a tool or assessment methodology for scenario modeling of a full portfolio of innovations at scale in the context of Nike’s full carbon footprint and reduction goals
You have a deep understanding of materials development and engineering and manufacturing related data. You have strategic problem-solving skills, along with excellent written and oral communication skills. In this role, you’ll be at the heart of the intersection between Innovation and Global Sustainability Data & Analytics Business Insights team. The ideal candidate will have industry experience conducting life cycle assessments (LCAs) of products and services, and detailed knowledge of manufacturing, design, development, and/or sourcing. The candidate should have experience working with imperfect data, identifying and quantify sources of uncertainty, and using public data to fill the gaps where needed. The successful candidate will act as a Subject Matter Expert, leading research in materials development and building data analytics and models at scale.
What You’ll Work On
In this role, you will build and implement innovative and effective data and analytics solutions by executing multi-functional projects that utilize advanced analytic approaches in order to inform Nike’s strategy. You will bring deep technical expertise and understanding of life cycle assessment (LCA) and environmental impact assessment to the Innovation and Sustainability teams, providing data and insights to help innovators broader Nike business partners make decisions to meet Nike’s bold sustainability targets. One of your core roles will be applying LCA to describe the main drivers of the environmental footprint and providing recommendations to reduce impact in the material and product development space. In this capacity, you will help create individual product-level and material-level assessments, provide strategic recommendations for each product/innovation, and create a portfolio analysis across all innovations at scale factoring in uncertainty of results to inform strategic development.
Who You’ll Work With
You will be part of the of Global Sustainability Analytics team and will work with teams across the Nike Advanced Innovation Collective in support of key sustainable innovation initiatives. With those teams, you will also work with strategic external partners and prospective partners to source carbon emissions impact data, drive improvements in carbon footprint outcomes for existing programs, and assess new opportunities being explored. You will partner with Nike’s technical and legal teams to identify issues and design and improve data infrastructure.
What You Bring
- Masters or PhD in Engineering, Technology, Science or Information Systems, Business, Environmental Sciences, Sustainability, or other relevant areas preferred.
- 8+ years of professional, academic, or industry research experience conducting sustainability research and/or driving sustainability recommendations.
- Experience with sustainability footprinting, impact assessment, and/or building and using Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) models.
- Carbon accounting experience and ability to translate raw data (e.g., energy, waste, materials) into sustainability metrics (e.g., CO2eq emissions) and insights (e.g., business decision recommendations)
- Demonstrated ability to think critically; strong problem-solving skills and analytical approach
- Change agent; ability to adapt and be flexible. Ability to lead multiple projects with challenging deadlines
- Able to influence and communicate effectively, both verbally and written, with team members and business partners
- Ability to make the complex simple for a diverse audience
- Ability to seamlessly collaborate with engineering partners and build multi-functional alignment
- Experience leading and influencing others
- Motivated to seek information needed to fill data gaps by forging relationships, doing research, and tapping into internal and external databases
- Demonstrable ability to sift through data, identify critical information, analyze, and develop solution options
- Hands-on experience working with real-world advanced analytics challenges and leading multiple projects and partners in a fast moving, dynamic and matrixed team and business environment
- Experience in communication of environmental claims (e.g., Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) and ISO standards)
- General expertise in material production, from raw material feedstock to product components.
- Experience in materials/technology developments, from early stage to full scale production
- Strong Excel skills
To apply for this job please visit jobs.nike.com.