Website World Resources Institute
Location: Ethiopia or Kenya, Africa
The Climate Resilience Lead, Africa will work closely with Regional Director, pillar directors, and other senior staff in WRI Africa to help articulate WRI Africa’s offers on climate adaptation as well as engagement with our governmental and non-governmental partners to advance solutions based on evidence. In this position, you will be the focal point for WRI Africa’s governmental and non-governmental partners on adaptation and resilience, as well as initiatives within WRI’s global and country programs relevant to Africa on these topics. Additionally, in keeping with WRI’s commitment to gender equity across our programs, as the Africa Climate Resilience Lead, you will also be required to identify relevant gender issues, as determined through a gender analysis, and ensure adequate and effective attention to these issues in project and partner development, budgeting and management.
- Represent WRI Africa’s climate work in local and international forums
- Liaise with and develop collaborations with external partners on advancing climate adaptation and resilience, increased adaptation finance, and locally-led adaptation
- Develop and implement effective strategies for WRI Africa’s engagement in COP and related processes on climate adaptation that is grounded in value on WRI’s comparative expertise and value addition
- Develop effective strategies for engaging with policymakers and other key stakeholders, including those at the sub-national level such as local community leaders, city managers, civil society organizations, etc.
- Proactively identify and leverage opportunities to focus attention on adaptation and adaptation finance
- Design and implement roundtables, workshops, or other convening events with stakeholders both local and international
- Work with WRI’s communication and engagement teams to advance climate adaptation agenda among decision-makers and the broader public
Research, knowledge and thought leadership:
- Plan, design, and conduct policy-relevant research and analysis and contribute to relevant publications on climate adaptation and resilience, mainstreaming of adaptation to policy, adaptation finance, locally-led adaptation, etc.
- Author blog posts and other communications materials
- Represent WRI at meetings and workshops, and communicate research with external audiences
- Review knowledge products written by other WRI researchers
Program Development and implementation:
- Design and co-create climate adaptation projects with pillar leads
- Actively engage and advise pillar/program leads and other staff to integrate climate adaptation into WRI Africa’s flagship programmatic offers
- Develop, co-lead, and coordinate WRI Africa’s initiatives on mainstreaming climate adaptation, financing, locally-led adaptation, etc.
- Lead and support fundraising efforts for the growing portfolio of climate adaptation and resilience work in Africa and ensure a thriving area of work
- Recruit and develop staff to support effective implementation of work under this portfolio
- Manage and build strong relationships with partners and donors
- Master’s degree in relevant field, such as environmental science, climate economics, etc.; relevant work experience in lieu of degree is accepted
- Minimum of 7 years full-time relevant work experience; minimum of 3 years in a leadership position
- Significant knowledge of climate policy, including international processes and national climate policy
- Ability to liaise effectively and build partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders and policymakers
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrable research record (e.g., involvement in published papers and reports)
- Demonstrated ability to build and grow a program
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and organized thinker who can juggle multiple, competing priorities
- Ability to travel when needed
- Strong command of English language , French strongly preferred
To apply for this job please visit jobs.jobvite.com.