Website The Tower Companies
Location: Rockville, Maryland
The Tower Companies is a family-owned commercial real estate business that strives to be a leader of environmental responsibility and health within the real estate industry. It does this by developing and managing high-performance properties, being a global voice, and sharing innovative practices. Tower is looking for a Head of Sustainability to continue driving the company’s efforts in several core areas including environmental sustainability and health, stakeholder engagement and communications, and industry partnerships.
The Head of Sustainability is responsible for setting strategy, implementing, and managing on-going programs and projects that include, but are not limited to, the efforts listed below. This position has direct access to and frequent interaction with company ownership and the senior leadership team. The work is conducted in close collaboration with colleagues at all levels within the engineering, property management, construction, leasing, legal, and accounting teams to ensure full integration into building operations. These initiatives aim to achieve company goals, increase brand recognition, place the company at the center of the sustainable and healthy buildings discussion in the real estate industry, and earn direct financial savings that decrease operating costs and improve the bottom line.
Environmental Sustainability and Health
- Energy, water, waste, and IAQ projects and programs, and associated reporting
- COVID-19 Task Force member
- Energy efficiency and other sustainability-related rebates and tax incentives
- Energy and water benchmarking to comply with government regulations
- New and existing building project design; review to ensure sustainability and healthy building practices are integrated consistently across the portfolio
- ENERGY STAR certifications
- LEED certifications and related green building policies
- Fitwel certifications and related health and wellness policies
- Greenhouse Gas (GHG) inventory reporting and verification process
- Renewable energy and carbon credit agreements to offset 100% of GHG emissions
- Electricity and natural gas procurement contracts
- Demand response programs
- Green lease provisions and procedures
- Alternative transportation-related projects
Stakeholder Engagement and Communications:
- Be the company’s spokesperson for sustainability and wellness
- Guide company marketing and communications strategy related to sustainability efforts
- Identify press release-worthy news and write content with relevant partners
- Engage and communicate with building occupants and other stakeholders such as commercial brokers, multifamily leasing agents, etc. to share sustainable and healthy building practices and procedures
- Write and update company website and social media content as it relates to sustainability efforts
- Work closely with all departments to develop and lead various internal communications and employee education programs as it relates to sustainability
- Report data and other sustainability information to industry groups such as DOE Better Buildings Challenge and ULI Greenprint
- Engage industry organizations to publish company achievements through case studies, articles, blogs, and other communications
- Present company programs and case study work at industry events
- Represent company on industry boards and committees
- Engage government entities and officials on issues affecting the company and the real estate development industry
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction, business, or other relevant area with strong focus in sustainability/environment
- 7+ years relevant work experience
- LEED Green Associate or LEED AP O+M
- Fitwel Ambassador or experience with wellness initiatives
- Strong understanding of metrics tracking across sustainability topic areas such as climate, energy, water, waste, and transportation
- Strong knowledge and interest of sustainability/ESG trends and strategies in CRE sector
- Strong experience with LEED, Fitwel, and other sustainability certifications
- Comfortable leading and developing a sustainability program while also working hands-on to implement, manage, and follow through on projects with on-site property teams
- Ability to assist with marketing both internal and external to the company
- Ability to create and manage budgets for sustainability-related cost items
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Interest and confidence speaking in front of large groups, with press, and on camera
- Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills with attention to detail
- Ability to adapt and work well with company colleagues from all departments and all position types, from entry level to ownership
- Ability to prioritize projects to meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Ability to be flexible, proactive, highly motivated and have strong organizational skills.
- Outstanding work ethic; reliable, on time, trusted to work independently
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Master’s degree
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
- Experience in directly managing a corporate sustainability program
About Tower Companies
For three generations, the family-owned Tower Companies has maintained a commitment to responsible development and continues to envision a world where buildings inspire and enrich the lives of their occupants and create positive social change. The sustainable building leader owns, develops and manages over 6 million square feet in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area consisting of office buildings, office parks, lifestyle centers, regional malls, eco-progressive livework-play communities and hotels, with an additional 13 million square feet in the development pipeline. In 2004, The Tower Companies was the first in the United States to achieve LEED® certification at a multi-family community, Blair Towns, and since then, 95 percent of their commercial and multi-family residential properties have achieved LEED® certification and 80 percent are ENERGY STAR® certified. In addition, Tower publicly reports their portfolio’s carbon footprint to The Climate Registry and offsets 100 percent of GHG emissions by supporting renewable energy projects in North America. Through a partnership with the Department of Energy, the Tower Companies pledged to reduce energy and water consumption 20 percent by 2020, then surpassed those targets in 2017. The Tower Companies is an international authority in the industry and has been recognized for its commitment to sustainability and energy independence by numerous national organizations and federal agencies, including the U.S. Green Building Council, U.S. Department of Energy, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and more. Learn more at www.towercompanies.com.
The Tower Companies is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collaborative and exciting work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits, which include medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as a 401(k) plan.
If you are interested in this position and working for The Tower Companies, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover Letters also encouraged. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job please visit towercompanies.com.