Location: Role reports to the Chief Sustainability Officer and can be located in a number of locations: U.S. (Battle Creek, MI & Chicago, IL).
As the Global Sustainability Business Partner for Human Rights and Deforestation, you will be responsible for building and managing global sustainability programs that help protect human rights and eliminate deforestation to achieve Kellanova’s Better Days Promise environmental and social strategy.
In this role, you will develop and manage sustainability strategies in support of sustainability policy and execute programs with Kellanova functions, suppliers and industry groups. This role supports internal and external engagement, manages partnerships and represents the company in industry events and activities. Responsibilities also include risk management, reporting and regulatory compliance. Our team thrives on relationships, and always keeps in mind the bigger picture for long-term success.
- Global Sustainability Strategy Development – Develop and lead comprehensive global sustainability strategies for human rights and high-risk deforestation priority ingredients in line with Kellanova’s Better Days Promise purpose platform and corporate priorities. Understand and communicate risk, constraints and potential. Implement holistic strategies considering financial, growth, operational and business strategy implications. Align corporate goals and strategies with emerging industry expectations, best practices and innovations. Identify and close gaps in Kellanova’s human rights, deforestation, and related responsible sourcing and climate strategies. Determine levers to sustain and improve our position over time.
- Human Rights and Deforestation Program Leadership and Management – Lead the program development, management, and analysis of Kellanova’s global human rights and deforestation strategies by working with Manufacturing, Legal, Procurement, Human Resources, partner NGOs, suppliers and consultants. Negotiate key elements of partnerships for project viability and sustainability. Build strategic and technical capabilities with Manufacturing, Procurement, Responsible Sourcing and suppliers, connecting them with tools, training and industry forums. Advise on material sustainability issues for high-risk human rights and deforestation priority commodity categories, supporting category strategy development and supplier engagement. Lead related human rights and deforestation reporting framework management.
- Commercial Activation – Provide technical and strategic guidance to brand and customer teams on activations that support Kellanova’s Better Days Promise commitments to support farmers and workers, eliminating deforestation, protecting human rights and reducing greenhouse gas. Advise on technical requirements for sustainability activations, including third-party social or environmental claims verification, industry standards for responsible sourcing and implementation requirements for credible programs to substantiate commercial claims. Support customer social sustainability audit requests.
- External Representation and Communication – Lead Kellanova’s participation in industry groups relating to human rights and high-risk deforestation commodities, including CGF, RSPO, and AIM Progress, to represent Kellanova’s position, manage stakeholder relationships and determine emerging risks and opportunities. Build and review content for annual Better Days Promise social and environmental reports, formalizing results from human rights and deforestation programs against Kellanova’s global sustainability commitments, to support external reporting. Provide original content for video scripts, internal and external blogs, news releases and other assets across a variety of communications channels.
- Knowledge Sharing and Capability Building – Lead internal and external global reporting on Kellanova’s human rights and deforestation programs. Develop and execute training on strategies, programs and risks for colleagues.
- Bachelor’s Degree with Sustainability, Environmental Science, Human Rights or related field preferred (i.e. Sustainable Business, Social Sustainability, Responsible Sourcing, Food Systems and Sustainable Agriculture, Environmental Engineering)
- 8+ years of industry experience (corporate, consulting, NGO, regulatory, etc.).
- Demonstrated exceptional project management skills and the ability to work with and across a broad spectrum of the company. Must be able to meet tight deadlines and execute flawlessly on projects in a fast-paced, often pressured environment. Strong and effective management of people, programs, projects and consultants.
- Expert in the fields of sustainability, human rights and deforestation. Familiarity with industry standards, tools, metrics and partners.
- Strong written and verbal communication and influencing skills are essential since engagement with all levels of management, employees, external stakeholders, suppliers and government agencies is necessary.
- High attention to detail and the ability to comprehend the larger strategic issues. Must be comfortable dealing with large quantities of data with high degree of accuracy.
- Knowledge of business and management principles including strategic planning, resource allocation, organization design, leadership technique, production methods, customer value and coordination of people and resources.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.kellanova.com.