Website 500 Women Scientists
Location: US Remote
500 Women Scientists is seeking an Executive Director to lead our organization into the future and fully realize our mission to change the world through the lens of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) in STEMM. The Executive Director will be responsible for all executive, strategic, programmatic, financial, and management functions of 500 Women Scientists, including leading fundraising efforts and overseeing our programs and initiatives. This role bridges 500 Women Scientists’ teams to coordinate growth and planning across projects and build strategic partnerships. You will be responsible for implementing and building a vision for the future of 500 Women Scientists and ensuring our work is holistic, integrative, sustainable, and mission focused.
Who We Are
500 Women Scientists is a global grassroots non-profit organization (U.S. registered 501(c)3) with a mission to make science open, inclusive, and accessible and to fight racism, patriarchy, and oppressive societal norms. We are a volunteer-run organization. Our team is geographically dispersed, which means that the bulk of our work is done remotely. We advocate for STEMM (science, technology, engineering, math, and medicine) to be equitable and just, and hold institutions accountable when they fall short on ensuring that STEMM is for everyone. We strive to transform the culture of STEMM. We bring a fresh and solutions-oriented stance, not shying away from complex arguments and contradictions in science and society, while unapologetically leading with equity and justice.
- Work closely with our Board of Directors and Executive Leadership Team to develop short and long term goals and vision for the organization.
- Set the vision and help execute strategies and initiatives that advance JEDI in STEMM fields.
- Craft a development strategy in line with short and long term goals for organization including sustained giving programs (subscriptions), campaigns geared to individual donors, corporate support, and grant funding.
- Build relationships with and solicit donations and funding support from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
Leadership (Project and staff management and oversight)
- Direct oversight, management and execution of 500 Women Scientists’ programs and initiatives.
- Build consensus and facilitate discussions and decision making among staff and the volunteer leadership team.
- Empower staff and volunteer leadership team to make decisions and take ownership of projects.
- Ensure an inclusive workplace where individuals from a diversity of backgrounds can thrive and use their skills to grow our organization in a way that is representative of our values.
- Build upon existing relationships and identify new opportunities to raise the profile, reputation, and visibility of 500 Women Scientists.
- Serve as a strong ambassador for our organization.
- Speak with the media, and represent our organization in various public platforms and forums.
- Clarify and maintain consistent communications across all our channels (internal and public-facing).
- Work with our accountant to track organizational financial standing.
- Facilitate an annual organizational audit.
- Report financial standing to the Board of Directors.
- Develop annual budget for board approval.
- Develop organizational systems that enhance operations, reporting, oversight, and evaluation.
Who You Are
Our ideal Executive Director believes deeply in our mission. Beyond that, you are:
- Passionate about equity and justice in science and society
- Someone who will thrive in a diverse team
- Committed to championing our work in and outside of science
- A transformational leader who can elevate our mission in the public sphere
- Excited to support and empower our diverse leadership team
- Comfortable with consensus-based decision-making
500 Women Scientists is open to candidates with traditional and non-traditional leadership experience in the scientific community. Our members run labs and non-profits, work hand-in-hand with people’s movements, and organize protests and rallies.
Additionally, you will have skills that directly contribute to the growth of our organization:
- A visionary leader with experience leading collaborative projects or organizations focused on elevating diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience in the non-profit sector, including financial and organizational management and strategy
- Proven track-record in fundraising, from either institutional or individual donors
- Well organized and detail-oriented
500 Women Scientists is deeply committed to providing competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits to our employees. This role falls within the $85,000-100,000 / year annual salary band, commensurate with the candidate’s prior experience.
This position is benefited and includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision employer coverage of 99% of the base plan + 50% for spouses
- Professional development – $1000/year
- Home office stipend – $1000 total
- Book purchase stipend – $50/quarter
- Generous parental leave policy – 16 weeks
- Paid time off (4 weeks annual vacation accrual and ample sick leave)
- Quarterly wellness stipend – $75/quarter.
- Technology stipend – $1000/every 2 years
To apply for this job please visit 500womenscientists.org.