Location: Redmond, Washington
Microsoft Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) team is seeking an Energy Risk Manager. This role will work across the energy, finance, treasury, and accounting teams to help us identify, measure, and manage Microsoft’s financial exposure to global power markets. This work will entail understanding and modeling complex retail and wholesale contracts, clearly and concisely communicating model outputs to a broad audience, as well as structuring and implementing risk mitigation initiatives. The Energy Risk Manager will need to broadly understand the dynamics of regulated and deregulated energy markets globally and Microsoft’s own unique position in the energy sector. This necessitates that the candidate brings an innovative and collaborative presence to the role to help Microsoft manage its energy risk while we achieve commercial goals, lower costs, and meet our ambitious sustainability targets.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Understand the various power market structures and their primary drivers across our portfolio.
- Work with energy markets and renewables teams to improve modeling of existing contractual positions globally.
- Track economic and regulatory developments and translate how they will or could affect Microsoft’s global positions.
- Develop and run sensitivities on market factors (weather, economic, commodity, regulatory) to assess economic exposure and identify hot spots.
- Perform regular backcasts to assess accuracy of contractual modeling and market assumptions to continually calibrate risk models.
- Run detailed scenario analyses to inform both retail and renewable procurement decisions optimizing for reducing cash flow at risk across the portfolio.
- Track budget variances, run root cause analyses, and present consolidated outputs and learnings to finance and treasury teams.
- Develop new and/or improve existing risk reporting tools and processes to provide accurate and timely information to key stakeholders
- Partner with accounting, finance, and treasury to structure, negotiate, and execute risk mitigation options in regions or products that exceed risk tolerance.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, actuarial sciences, finance, engineering disciplines, business, or sustainability.
- 4+ years of experience in the energy sector with exposure to wholesale and retail power markets.
- Broad understanding of the power industry, with specific focus on the mechanics of power markets.
- Strong analytical capabilities (Excel etc.) to support review of utility tariffs, power contracts and power market fundamentals.
- Familiarity with accounting and finance principles.
- Proven ability to manage through ambiguity and thrive in a dynamic work environment.
- Strong sense of curiosity to fully understand complex problems
- Excellent business acumen and entrepreneurial, self-directed spirit.
- Team player with cross-group collaboration and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, especially the ability to explain complex issues clearly and concisely.
- Growth mindset with problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of fundamental economic concepts and forward price forecasting.
- Experience in energy marketing and international power markets.
- MBA or other graduate degree in relevant field.
- Familiarity with statistical methods and basic programming skills (particularly manipulating and visualizing data in languages like Python or R).
- Ability to work with and analyze large datasets (data-querying skills such as SQL a plus).
To apply for this job please visit careers.microsoft.com.