Location: Redmond, WA
Microsoft Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) team is seeking a Program Manager for its Energy Risk Analytics. This role will work across the energy, finance, treasury, and engineering teams to help us build out the data infrastructure and analytics capability to measure, analyze and manage Microsoft’s economic exposure to global power markets. This work will encompass everything from data ingestion and pipeline management to creating visualizations and analyses to inform procurement decisions and portfolio strategy. The Energy Risk Analytics PM will need to understand and model the details of complex retail and wholesale power contracts while being able to take a broader view on data systems, the dynamics of regulated and deregulated energy markets, and Microsoft’s unique position in the energy sector. The ideal candidate will bring an innovative and collaborative approach as they help Microsoft build the technical and strategic capability to manage its energy risk while we hit our commercial growth targets and meet our ambitious sustainability objectives.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Develop new and/or improve existing risk reporting tools and processes to provide accurate and timely information to key stakeholders, including working with internal engineering and external vendors to translate business needs into corresponding data requirements, and build out portfolio data architecture and platform to meet team objectives.
- Work with energy markets and renewables teams to collect and process data at scale and improve modeling of existing contractual positions globally.
- Run detailed scenario analyses to inform both retail and renewable procurement decisions with a target to reduce spend at risk across regional and global portfolios.
- Track budget variances, run root cause analyses, and present consolidated outputs and learnings to finance and treasury teams.
- Perform regular back casts to assess accuracy of contractual modeling and market assumptions to continually calibrate risk models.
- Understand the various power market structures and their primary drivers across our portfolio.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, actuarial sciences, computer science, engineering disciplines, business analytics, or equivalent practical experience.
- 2+ years of experience in data science or analytics, particularly data exploration, visualization and performing quantitative analysis in Python, R or equivalent.
- Proven ability to manage through ambiguity and thrive in a dynamic work environment.
- Strong sense of curiosity to fully understand complex problems
- Excellent business acumen and entrepreneurial, self-directed spirit.
- Team player with cross-group collaboration and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, especially the ability to explain complex issues clearly and concisely.
- Growth mindset with problem-solving skills.
- Experience with database management process and schema, ETL processes, and reporting tools, with specific knowledge of SQL, Git, Shiny, Kusto and PowerBI strong preferred.
- Strong familiarity with statistical modeling and experience performing quantitative analysis in a fast-paced work environment.
- Broad understanding of the power industry with specific focus on the mechanics of power markets and wholesale energy market agreements. Knowledge of international power markets a plus.
- Understanding of fundamental economic concepts and forward price forecasting.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.