Location: San Diego, CA
Genomatica develops commercial biobased processes to make widely-used chemicals that enable better, more sustainable everyday products. That enables our partners and leading brands to offer better food packaging, auto parts, clothing, tires, carpets, and more.
We’ve commercialized processes for bio-BDO (for plastics) and for biobased butylene glycol (for cosmetics); and our technology drives the world’s first commercial-scale biobased plant for a major intermediate chemical. We’re working on polyamide intermediates (nylon) and on butadiene (tires); and we’re helping numerous companies with their bioprocesses. We have more on the way.
As the Director, Sustainability, you will lead Genomatica’s strategy that drives ESG strategy in our business. You will play a critical role in providing strategy and creation of a program that supports our company’s mission to accelerate the sustainable materials transition.
You will establish a comprehensive program that expands Genomatica’s sustainability plan. You’ll help drive business value by identifying and establishing business relationships with external partners committed to responsible sourcing, transparency, and climate justice. You’ll develop program objectives and measures, providing reporting and analysis to senior leaders, to ensure program adoption and success. You’ll build a holistic sustainability program aligned with best practices that ensures maximizing our company’s impact. Your team will be responsible to measure, track, and drive ESG impacts and will be supported by Genomatica’s key leadership and company-wide values.
You will work with our Head of Sustainability to:
- Set Genomatica’s Sustainability strategy and standards
- Keep a pulse on industry trends, constantly seeking out best practices and benchmark against peers
- Develop a dashboard to evaluate our products/technologies sustainability impacts
- Lead internal and external sustainability communications in partnership with internal communications department (Reporting, social media, newsletter, press, etc.)
- Maintain best-in-class code of conduct and other social and environmental standards across departments and with external suppliers
- Develop framework for evaluating partners against Genomatica environmental and social standards
- Manage external certification (B Corp, Ecovadis, Climate Neutral, and more)
- Manage Tier 1-4 impacts
- Recommend and engage with industry groups and initiatives (B Corp, Ecovadis, B Corp, Sustainable Brands, GreenBiz, Ellen MacArthur Foundation, SynBio, Bio, SAC/Higg Index, Textile Exchange, Fair Trade, Fair Labor Association, Bluesign, OekoTex, etc.)
- Lead Genomatica’s ESG disclosures including our Annual CSR Report
- Minimum 5 years working in social or environmental sustainability
- Worked for CPG brands in developing / driving their internal sustainability frameworks and external communications (ideally in beauty and apparel)
- Understanding of supply chains with experience working on transparency and/or with factories in the US and abroad; social and environmental audit experience is a plus
- Developed ESG Disclosures (SASB+, GRI, TFCD) reports
- Brand sustainability storytelling
- Familiarity with human rights standards and organizations including Fair Trade, Fair Labor Association, SA800, SMETA, WRAP, etc.
- Familiarity with environmental standards and organizations including the Higg Index, OekoTex, Bluesign, etc.
- Expert in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with global trends in corporate sustainability and ESG, reporting requirements and best practices.
You’re a big sustainability nerd. You’re a skilled communicator. You place a high value on being authentic, respectful and engaging. You’ve facilitated a variety of successful projects ranging in size, with diverse audiences. Your curiosity allows you to work in a manner that adds value in a variety of settings.
- You have previous experience in sustainability strategy and are well versed in developing comprehensive strategies in support of enterprise wide objectives.
- Your knowledge in establishing enterprise policies and guidelines in sustainability strategy has led to your success in building and increasing business partnerships across markets
- You’ve worked / consulted for cross-industry brands, driving sustainability across audience groups. Ideally you will have worked across apparel, beauty, nutrition, and industrial markets.
- You’ve established business metrics in order to ensure adoption and success in strategic sustainability initiatives.
- Your expertise in organizational transformation and capability building has allowed you to meet and exceed business objectives and strategies.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills with people from different socio-economic and cultural backgrounds
- You develop your team with intentionality for impact
- You are self-directed, don’t need or want a lot of over-the-shoulder management; ability to create and maintain timelines and consistently meet deadlines
- You have an extreme attention to detail and proven ability to organize complex datasets
- You know how to get a lot done efficiently without endless resources
- You’re a generous collaborator and strong project manager. You’ve fine-tuned your communication style to influence a variety of personalities.
- You’ve led large scale and cross-functional projects.
- You want to represent a company in external partnerships (conferences, networking)
- You’re devoted to continuous learning, development, and you find new ways of challenging yourself.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Sustainability or Accounting or equivalent professional experience.
- You have a personal passion for sustainability that drives not just what you do, but how you do it.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.