Website Johnson Controls
At Johnson Controls (JCI), we transform the environments where people live, work, learn and play. From optimizing building performance to improving safety and enhancing comfort, we drive the outcomes that matter most.
Sitting within the Global Products organization, our Product Management Functional Excellence team focuses on ensuring we manufacture and deliver the most cutting–edge products on the market. We are further strengthening our team’s focus on sustainability by adding the newly created role of Director of Product Sustainability, reporting directly to the VP of Global Product Management.
In this fast-paced role, this candidate will collaborate with the 11 unique product businesses to coordinate and drive product-level sustainability strategies that align to our enterprise-level commitments. The Director will be a person of experience and vision with a demonstrated track record in helping to lead a complex organization to excellence in environmental stewardship, including understanding of the strategies, tactics and measurement requirements related to tackling climate change. The candidate will accelerate our focus on Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) within our Product Management teams and collaborate with our engineering and R&D teams to develop and embed design for sustainability principles and application of circular economy principles across the organization. The candidate will own product-level sustainability-related KPIs and associated sustainability reporting for the Global products organization. They will drive completion of EPDs (Environmental Product Declaration) across our portfolio of products and will collaborate with JCI corporate-level sustainability teams. Successful candidates for this role will be resourceful, organized self-starters with experience working in fast-paced environments with tight deadlines.
This highly-visible and global role will represent the Global Products organization at both internal and external sustainability forum and will help increase product sustainability acumen generally in the organization. This role will provide significant leadership exposure as this candidate be required to regularly interact with business General Managers, regional Presidents and C-suite leaders. Successful candidates will have executive presence and be experienced working across a global organization.
Data and technical proficiency are a must for this role, as the Director will lead the creation of the Global Products environmental scorecard and developing strategies for the continuous reduction of both embedded and operational carbon. Come join our winning, high performance-based team and become part of our $14B Global Products organization.
Collaborate with the VP of Global Product Management to develop a product-level sustainability and life cycle design strategy across 11 business units by:
- Implementing Design for Sustainability within our New Product Introduction (NPI) process.
- Develop and drive sustainability KPIs (ie % of recycled steel in our products), in alignment with third party guidance such as the Science Based Targets Initiative and GHG Protocol.
- Drive product-level enterprise sustainability initiatives through the organization.
- Represent Global Products at enterprise-level sustainability councils.
- Transform the Product Management function to build in life cycle and circular economy thinking into portfolio strategies.
- Own the prioritization of projects to drive progress to our sustainability ambitions and goals.
- Support the businesses in defining their sustainability targets and creating visible, accountable plans to achieve them.
- Lead and participate in cross-functional working groups, designed to drive new capabilities and processes aligned with our ESG Targets.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Science.
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in a global and heavily matrixed organization
- Deep Understanding of LCA (Life Cycle Analysis), sustainable product development, embodied carbon calculations/forecasting.
- Deep Understanding in the principles of Circular Economy
- Track record of managing multiple complex priorities simultaneously
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively verbally and in written communication under tight deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with executive leadership and operational leaders
- High proficiency with Excel analysis and PowerPoint communication
- Passion to make a positive impact on the world
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
- MBA or Advanced Degree in Sustainability or Life Cycle Analysis
- Experience in a product management, corporate development or a strategic development role
- Experience driving organizational transformations
- Experience with partnering with suppliers to understand their sustainability goals and impact to our offerings
- Familiarity with the building technologies market
To apply for this job please visit jobs.johnsoncontrols.com.