Website Impact Engine
Location: Chicago, IL
The Director of Finance and Operations is responsible for managing all firm and fund-level finance and operations functions at Impact Engine. This currently includes 3 accelerator entities, 2 venture capital funds, and 1 private equity fund with both direct and fund investments. A successful candidate will be able to identify and implement operational best practices for a growing institutional investment firm, and grow into a more senior leadership position over time. Responsibilities will include both direct finance and operations work as well as managing third-party vendors, including accountants, auditors, compliance consultants, and fund administrators. Given the firm’s small team and entrepreneurial culture, the ideal candidate will be a self-starter that thrives in an independent yet collaborative work environment. This position will report to the CEO but will collaborate closely with other team members. The role is based in Chicago and we anticipate in-office work at least 2 days per week.
About Impact Engine
Impact Engine is a women-owned and led, Chicago-based venture capital and private equity firm investing in companies driving positive impact in economic empowerment, education, environmental sustainability, and health. The firm manages $65M AUM and was included on the 2019, 2020 and 2021 ImpactAssets50 lists, which recognized outstanding impact investment funds with a demonstrated positive social, environmental and financial impact. Across its portfolio, Impact Engine has invested in companies with 38% women CEOs and 26% non-white CEOs, and 62% of companies we invested in are headquartered between the coasts.
Impact Engine embraces diversity and prioritizes building a team with varied work and life experiences and identities. Firm values include authenticity, excellence, humility, resourcefulness, camaraderie, inclusivity, optimism, and determination.
- Financial and Operations Management
- Investor Reporting
- Legal and Governance
- Compliance and Risk Management
- Minimum 7 years of financial and operations management experience, including in the VC/PE industry
- CPA, CFA or MBA preferred
- Understanding of regulatory compliance in an investment environment
- Experience and proven ability to develop, upgrade or maintain internal systems and controls for operational, organizational, and financial performance
- Strong understanding of private fund structures and terms
- Expert knowledge of valuation policies and procedures, investor reporting, and fund administration
- Experience managing relationships with external vendors, including legal counsel, auditors and accountants
- Passionate about impact investing, preferably with experience in the field
- Exceptional analytical skills, including the ability to build and manage financial models
- Detail oriented, high work standards, and self-starter
- Proven ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Familiarity with tools including Quickbooks, Carta, Expensify
- Tight knit, mission driven team
- Flexible working conditions (we are currently 100% remote but anticipate having a hybrid model in the future)
- Benefits including health insurance and 401(k)
- Tech stipend
- Connect with and learn from the Impact Engine community
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Director of Finance and Operations in the subject line.
To apply for this job please visit www.theimpactengine.com.