Website Public Sector Consultants
The director of clean energy financing will support the Michigan Saves program, a clean energy financing nonprofit staffed by Public Sector Consultants. Michigan Saves addresses financing gaps to ensure that everyone — no exceptions — has access to the benefits of clean energy. Since 2009, Michigan Saves has supported over $320 million of energy efficiency and clean energy improvements in homes and businesses throughout the state. In order to deepen our impact, the organization is seeking an individual to join the Michigan Saves leadership team to design, implement, and oversee new financing programs to address financing market barriers and gaps in Michigan, as well as secure capital sources to fund these programs. This position has substantial project finance, investment, loan program, and transaction responsibilities. The director is accountable both to the board and the CEO, while reporting on a day‐to‐day basis to the CEO.
- Develop new financing products that fill market gaps to support clean energy, energy efficiency, or other climate‐related investments aligned with the Michigan Saves mission
- Determine and deploy appropriate capital‐sourcing strategies to build capital reserves that can fill identified market gaps, collaborating with green banks nationwide to consider various best practices
- Develop and manage financial approaches that source and leverage capital as well as lead to a transformative increase in investment in clean energy, energy efficiency, and other climate‐related investments statewide
- Work with staff to evaluate the success of capital‐deployment strategies, refine them, and drive the future allocation of capital resources
- Conduct outreach efforts to local, regional, and national financial institutions, institutional investors, and foundations to identify partnerships, cofinancing mechanisms, and other investment strategies that can catalyze private investment into projects from a variety of private sources (e.g., commercial banks, credit unions, nonbank financial institutions, pension funds, endowments, bond funding, private and impact investors, etc.)
- Manage relationships with financial institution partners and other investor communities
- Lead financial product development and adopt successful market‐proven models, approaches, and methodologies that complement programs offered by state agencies, utilities, and other key stakeholders
- Structure and negotiate terms for financing and investments with counterparties and partners, working with legal counsel to draft and negotiate legal and transaction documents, with a focus on contract standardization
- Lead due‐diligence activities by providing financial modeling expertise and economic analysis with respect to potential partners’ strategies and plans
- Manage the adoption, design, and implementation of new financing products, including requests for proposals for new project investments
- Provide comprehensive evaluation and risk analysis of investment opportunities
- Where necessary, design program and investment guidelines considering the needs and interests of capital providers and contractors or developers, with a particular focus on accelerating the deployment of energy efficiency and clean energy projects as well as private capital
- Provide regular updates to relevant board committees on the development of existing and new programs, transactions, investment pipeline, and activities
- Work with the marketing and outreach team to develop and implement strategies to increase participation in targeted programs
- Develop Michigan Saves’ portfolio management approach, including defining metrics and methodology for assessing projects and investments
- Work with the team to conduct periodic evaluations of existing products and transactions and undertake redesign efforts of existing programs or elements of programs, if warranted
Characteristics of High Performance
- Strong knowledge and experience in clean energy financing, project finance, and/or general commercial financing; knowledge of commercial and/or multifamily real estate and/or solar power purchase agreements is a plus
- Considerable experience sourcing capital from foundations, state and/or federal sources, investors, and the private sector
- Considerable experience in transaction origination (deal sourcing) and execution (deal closing), with a proven successful track record of initiating, managing, negotiating, and closing complex transactions with demonstrated progress toward volume and scale
- Effective and proven leadership skills; personable and able to develop strong customer and partner relationships; can work in a team environment as a lead contributor, manager, and facilitator
- Ability to navigate the highest levels of organizations to catalyze transaction activity
- Capacity to scale projects and/or investments
- Familiarity with renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency methods; familiarity with clean energy issues and contracts is a plus
- Considerable ability to develop programs and manage stakeholder processes
- Understanding of the financial decision‐making considerations of commercial property owners and managers
- Demonstrated ability to understand various scientific and energy‐related technological principles and applications and integrate those concepts into the overall project, program, or organization
- Expertise in scalable models for financing building upgrades through a variety of financial products
- Knowledge of state and federal energy policies and regulations that support clean energy financing
- Ability to use sound judgment and demonstrate initiative, critical thinking, and creativity to generate ideas for work approaches, presentation of information, and issue resolution
- A bachelor’s degree, master’s preferred, with a minimum of seven years’ experience in project and/or commercial financial transactions
- Knowledge and experience working under direction and collaboratively with senior management; experience working under the direct oversight of boards is desirable; experience supervising staff is preferred
- Experience working with and facilitating collaborative outcomes among various stakeholder groups
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
Public Sector Consultants has a flexible work location policy that allows employees the ability to work from a location that best meets their personal needs while also balancing the needs of the firm. Work is primarily performed indoors, with extended periods (approximately eight hours or more a day) at a computer or on the telephone. The nature of the work has frequent interruptions and requires contact with the public and clients, performance of repetitive tasks, and strong communication skills. While the employee may be required to work beyond traditional business hours, PSC strives for staff to maintain a healthy work‐life balance.
About PSC and Michigan Saves
PSC is an objective, nonpartisan research and consulting firm. Our services have been used to advance innovative solutions to all kinds of difficult public policy challenges in Michigan and beyond. Offering a full suite of services in research, implementation, facilitation, and evaluation, PSC has helped hundreds of local, state, and federal government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private businesses. PSC strives for excellence in relationships with both clients and colleagues. These efforts have resulted in PSC receiving numerous awards; the most recent include being recognized as one of the Detroit Free Press Top Workplaces in 2020 and receiving the 2021 Outstanding Small Business Award from the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce. Since our founding in 1979, PSC has built a reputation as the consulting firm of choice for anyone working to better people’s lives.
Michigan Saves is a nonprofit dedicated to making energy improvements easier for all Michigan energy consumers. To accomplish this, Michigan Saves operates as a green bank, making affordable financing and incentives available through grants and partnerships with private‐sector lenders and energy providers. Michigan Saves also authorizes and monitors a network of contractors and recognizes those with advanced training while providing technical assistance for customers and contractors alike. The organization’s current portfolio includes programs for residential, commercial, and municipal customers, and supports energy efficiency, geothermal, and solar photovoltaic projects.
To apply for this job please visit publicsectorconsultants.com.