Location: Pasadena, CA
CALSTART is seeking a highly experienced, motivated, and skilled leader to join our team as the Director of Innovative Mobility (IM). CALSTART’s IM program creates new zero-emission mobility options that make transportation more affordable and accessible including e-bikes, e-scooters, microtransit, automated transit vehicles, multimodal infrastructure, and other shared and emerging technologies. The program works closely with transit agencies and local governments to deploy innovative mobility in service of vehicle miles traveled (VMT) and mode shifting goals.
The IM program includes a major equity initiative, the Clean Mobility Options Voucher Pilot Program (CMO), which provides funding for community-based zero-emission mobility projects in underserved communities throughout California. CMO is collaborative effort led by CALSTART and funded by Cap-and-Trade investments in partnership with the California Air Resources Board (CARB), Shared-Use Mobility Center (SUMC), and Local Government Commission and involves supporting over 40 current community projects around the state. More information is at www.cleanmobilityoptions.org.
The IM director will be a visionary leader with a grounding and passion for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in transportation, and have experience and a desire to manage fast-paced service operations and partnerships in a growing organization. The director will have solid project management experience and be a skilled meeting facilitator.
Ideally, this position will be based in California within commuting proximity to our Pasadena office. However, for the safety and well-being of our employees, our organization is temporarily working remotely.
- Lead and enhance CALSTART’s IM vision with a rigorous strategy for policy, demonstration, market acceleration, and equity activities to realize the full potential of innovative technologies towards reducing climate pollution
- Oversee CALSTART’s entire portfolio of IM projects which includes CMO, the national IM Working Group, and a wider set of initiatives nationwide for both people and goods movement
- Coordinate and support the mission-based funding needs of CALSTART’s Innovative Mobility team
- Maintain client and partner relationships including decision-making on partnership development, conflict resolution, and troubleshooting
- Participate in cross-departmental strategic coordination and navigation to advance major projects that depend on interdepartmental collaboration
- Manage day-to-day team operations including regular check-ins with direct reports, participate in the hiring process, track progression of annual goals, and team development
- Oversee long-term projects such as CMO
- Instill and advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) across all projects and departments
- Implement a portfolio of technology- and equity-focused mobility projects for demonstration, pilot, policy, and market acceleration with strong focus on CMO and administrative/finance matter
- Develop relationships and ensure resource securement through business development and members
- Bachelor’s degree in sustainability, policy, or related field(s)
- 10+ years of closely related experience in non-profit development and business development
- Experience working in the clean transportation, energy, and/or climate sectors
- Work well in a fast-paced and high-profile environment
- Strong program oversight and project management experience
- Experience with grassroots community engagement for transportation, mobility, affordable housing, and/or environmental justice
- Strong supervisory experience including delegating work, training, job design, overseeing team operations, etc.
- Exceptional presentation, stakeholder management, communication, and writing skills
- Ability to operate with significant independence and discretion in decision making
- Exceptional campaign and proposal development and submission experience
- Demonstrated success leading workshops, professional development sessions and discussions related to DEI
- Proven organizational management and team leadership skills
- Knowledge of project budgeting and organizational revenue forecasting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Master’s or PhD in sustainability, policy, or related field(s)
- Extensive knowledge of advanced transportation and innovative mobility options
CALSTART is a nationally and internationally recognized clean transportation industry organization (nonprofit) headquartered in California with offices in multiple states. With more than 28 years of experience, we work with the public, private and philanthropic sectors to break down barriers to innovation and drive the transportation industry to a clean and prosperous future.
Our work is organized into four major initiative areas: light-duty vehicles, buses and innovative mobility, trucks (and off-road vehicles), and clean fuels and infrastructure. We advance each of these sectors by supporting technology development, assessing and validating new technologies and products, accelerating market growth by supporting clean vehicle incentive programs, providing policy guidance and implementation, and giving value-added services to our member organizations. We operate from offices in California, Colorado, Michigan, and New York.
If you want a career where you are making a real impact and benefiting both society and the environment, you should consider coming to work with us!
To apply for this job please visit calstart.breezy.hr.