Living Homes: Teaching Case (pdf abstract)
Purchase the full report on Global Lens (Case study #1-428-714) – published 1/2008, 38 pages
By: Andy Hoffman and Rebecca Henn.
Description: LivingHomes manufactures modern, pre-fab, LEED Certified homes designed by world class architects. Steve Glenn, a successful Internet start-up entrepreneur, returned to his love of architecture and commitment to sustainability by creating a company that would provide signature green, prefabricated homes to the “cultural creative” market. The case outlines the state of both the housing industry and the green building industry in 2007. Students will learn about the environmental impact of the buildings, the certification programs to build green buildings, and the critical elements of creating a sound business that capitalizes on the green building industry. This case was awarded third prize in the 2008 Oikos Case Competition.
Teaching Note: Available to Registered Educators. Please login to view it.
Teaching Points: This case can be used to illustrate:
- environmental impacts of buildings
- the certification programs used in green building
- the critical elements of creating a sound business that capitalizes on the green building industry
- critical challenges in Steve Glenn’s business model
- the immediate threats and opportunities to the business model
- Consumer Products
- Emerging and Developing Economies
- Emerging Markets
- Environmental Sustainability
- Frontier Markets
- International Business
- Marketing & Sales
- Strategic Management