The Erb Institute MBA/MS Program at the University of Michigan is a graduate-level masters program focused on Global Sustainable Enterprise, which involves a challenging blend of coursework, projects and research related to business, the environment and sustainability. Students enrolled in the three-year program earn two degrees: a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the Stephen M. Ross School of Business (Ross), and a Master of Science (MS) from the School of Natural Resources & Environment (SNRE).
The MBA/MS Program is committed to being the world’s leading graduate-level, educational program focused on harmonizing economic, environmental and social interests. The Program develops sustainability-oriented leaders who are widely respected as content experts, holistic thinkers, community builders and catalyzing agents of change within large corporations, small businesses, non-profit organizations and government agencies.
Graduates of the Erb Institute MBA/MS Program will continually draw upon their interdisciplinary training to inspire, develop and implement innovative and practicable methods for cultivating a sustainable future.
- To educate and provide relevant working experiences for the future leaders focused on balancing environmental, social, and economic interests.
- To attract highly talented students to pursue sustainability-related careers.
- To work with organizations in developing challenging and rewarding career paths for graduates.
- To promote and sponsor interdisciplinary courses and team projects which provide students with invaluable experience relative to their future sustainability-related careers.
- To provide financial support for University of Michigan research at the intersection of business and the environment.
To ensure that all students are capable of leading transformations toward sustainable enterprise, the Erb Institute has adopted eight essential competencies in which every MBA/MS graduate should excel. These competencies are:
- Global perspective—consider global trends and the implications of decisions on both a local and global scale.
- Transformational leadership skills—be capable of leading organizations through significant and lasting transformations to foster sustainability.
- Systems/strategic thinking—be strategic thinkers who understand systems dynamics and apply systems thinking in decision making.
- Ecological, scientific and technological literacy—be literate in ecological and scientific theories and technological innovations in the field of sustainability.
- Ethics and social responsibility—demonstrate sound ethics in decision making and integrate social responsibility within strategy.
- Cross-sector partnerships—comfortably work across sector boundaries to create and leverage partnerships.
- Entrepreneurship—demonstrate entrepreneurial skills to develop and oversee new projects and enterprises.
- Management fundamentals—clearly articulate the business case for recommendations and decisions.